Why can't I...?

I remember when I was younger, just sitting down and playing a game non-stop for hours. I’d play a game like Animal Crossing while making up my own little story for my character. I’d play through a whole game like Ratchet and Clank or work on a long game like Wind Waker or Okami. I use to do random shit in Oblivion just because I could…I use to play round after around of Halo 2…I use to level up almost nightly in World of WarCraft…And I don’t anymore.

I’ve been trying for quite sometime to get into a game. I’ve finished some games, but they either feel like I forced myself to finish them or I only completed them due to co-op.

I know part of it has been from just getting older. I don’t have a much time as I use to and the bit of free time I do have, I normally use to do something else other than play games. But even when I feel like playing one, I have such a hard time getting myself to sit down and actually play it.

Even now I’m about to just play some rounds in Call of Duty or something…I’ve got some music playing and just want to sit down and no nothing else but I can almost promise that in about an hour or so I will stop for no real reason…

I’ve said it before.

Modern games lack originality and that feeling of curiosity that we had back in previous years.

Or maybe you’re getting older, IDK.

Play more platformers I played about a good 7 hours of Banjo Kazzoie on XBLA trying to find all the stop n swap items to make my vehicles in Nuts & Bolts. I also can play Halo 3 all night because when its me and my friends owning up in Big Team Battle time seems to fly. But sometimes (alot of the time) I sit down and just stare at all my games for about 10 minuets then flip on the TV. These days games take alot to really get into because they all try to be so epic. Download Pacman Championship Edition or play some 1 vs 100. Play something that doesn’t mentally exhaust you.

Also, every gamer has an up and down period, it is normal. I’ve had times where I barly played games at all, or just wouldn’t play for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, then I’ve gone back to playing hours of something I really love playing eventually.

Try this. Get out of the house and dont even look at games for a good month. Have fun outside enjoy the weather and have fun with friends…then come back sit down with a game you want to finish and I can promise you it will hit the spot.

Kinda hard to not look at games when I work at GameStop…

(And wow…I’m kinda sad now.)

[quote=“Kumiko”]I remember when I was younger, just sitting down and playing a game non-stop for hours. I’d play a game like Animal Crossing while making up my own little story for my character. I’d play through a whole game like Ratchet and Clank or work on a long game like Wind Waker or Okami. I use to do random shit in Oblivion just because I could…I use to play round after around of Halo 2…I use to level up almost nightly in World of WarCraft…And I don’t anymore.

I’ve been trying for quite sometime to get into a game. I’ve finished some games, but they either feel like I forced myself to finish them or I only completed them due to co-op.

I know part of it has been from just getting older. I don’t have a much time as I use to and the bit of free time I do have, I normally use to do something else other than play games. But even when I feel like playing one, I have such a hard time getting myself to sit down and actually play it.

Even now I’m about to just play some rounds in Call of Duty or something…I’ve got some music playing and just want to sit down and no nothing else but I can almost promise that in about an hour or so I will stop for no real reason…[/quote]

I think you’re feeling like you’ve been there and done that hopefully some of the new innovations like Natal may clear you of that. Maybe that a next gen thing if they do stuff besides up the graphics.

HOLY SHIT I’M HAVING THAT EXACT SAME PROBLEM! I even talked about this with Ryan today. I really think that games have become less fun. For the most part everything is trying to be super slick, even games with bits and pieces of humor like Fallout 3. I think it detracts the playable aspect of it. I also think that every game is trying to be “the next big thing” which is nice for a couple of months, but it lessens a desire to play it over and over again. No one wants to make something that is magical, just something breathtaking. Creativity is rising in games but imagination is falling, see what I mean? Probably not. I guess it’s like songs, everyone wants to put out a complex song with a deep meaning, but the most fun and sweet songs are the catchy pop ones.

I wouldn’t say imagination is disappearing. Take Fallout 3 for example…I was exploring in The Pitt when I found the baseball machine. I turned it on and tried to hit the balls with my bat. When that failed and I had a bunch of baseballs laying on the ground, I decided to try to drop them into a cart below the catwalk and see how many I could make into the cart.

But I’m also insane…

Anyway, I do agree with you both though; however, I think I’m falling into a different category…but that is one thing to think about nonetheless.

You need to try a differnt kind of game I think, something unusual, or at least something you wouldn’t otherwise try. Find a game that looks interesting, but like something you wouldn’t usually play (sounds odd, but)

Damn ADD…

OMG A UNICORN!!! :Q :Q :Q

[quote=“Kumiko”]Kinda hard to not look at games when I work at GameStop…

(And wow…I’m kinda sad now.)[/quote]

I didnt know you worked there…and there is no need to be sad every gamer goes through this trust me its Natural…I have done this a few times myself. You’ll bounce back.

Either you need more variety, or you’re going through a phase. Same stuff happens to me.

[quote=“AoR Final”]Damn ADD…

OMG A UNICORN!!! :Q :Q :Q[/quote]

That unicorn kicked my ass…

Stupid, Oblivion… :frown;

The main thing you do is play video games so why not mix it up and put more time into your other hobbies like anime.

So I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not just gaming that is being effected…It’s my taste in entertainment in general.

My tastes seem to be becoming very specific and very distinct. It’s so hard for me to find something I truly love over enjoying enough to pass the time. I tried watching a movie tonight and last night but despite the fact I highly enjoyed the film, I felt like I had to force myself to watch it till the end.

I’m slowly finding myself spending more and more time just drifting among web sites, sitting idly in front of the TV, or just playing a game for the sake of passing time. I need something to be passionate about again…I mean, I’ve got my cello but I’m not yet at a level with it that I want to be. So I need something to feel dedicated to again. I tried writing but all my ideas are currently nothing more than fan fictions or rip offs…

Just BE.

http://www.imeem.com/geemusiq/music/WztnFAoQ/common-go/

Games ceased to be genuinely satisfying for me some time ago. Since then, I’ve taken more of an active interest in politics, which is something that I’ve found I can easily be passionate about.

Then there is someone like me that has spent the last 7 years of my life playing video games at any time possible.