What computer do you use?

Thinking about replacing my PC (Dell Inspiron i7). What kind are you using right now, and what brand has been most good to you whenever you’d buy new machines?

1 Like
  • Google Pixelbook
    • Intel Core i5 (Gen 7)
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 128 GB SSD

I’m a Google fan. The Linux container works well enough for when I need it for work, and the hardware is sterling. Probably not worth it if you only look at specs, or if you’re not fond of Chrome OS.

• HP Slimline 290
    • Intel Core i7 (Gen 8)
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 128 GB SDD
    • 1 TB HDD

Great little desktop in a slim tower, I upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 16 GB after the fact but otherwise ~$700 wasn’t bad for all the rest, considering this is an already-assembled PC.

Plays Civ Beyond Earth well enough but probably need to add a discrete GPU before trying The Evil Within 1/2.

Oh, you know. A custom-built computer.

1050 Ti Nvidia Card
8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5
1TB hard drive

I’ve been meaning to upgrade the RAM, CPU, and hard drive, as well as add a solid state drive, but who knows when I’ll be able to do all that.

I’m still rocking my 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 12GB RAM and 1TB HD, running 10.7.4, from summer 2011. No updates or anything. Runs just as smooth as the day I got it with the exception of when I’m online, as no browser updates exist at this point and Firefox was the last one and stopped releasing updates 3 or 4 years back for Mac OS Lion.

As for laptop, I’m using a 2.5GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM and 500GB SSD, running 10.10.5, from Summer 2015. Nice computer and super quick, but the battery doing anything involving video playback is maybe 90 minutes or so tops. I went all out when I bought it and got the high end model, which included 2 graphics cards for better video rendering and, apparently, both have to run concurrently and both suck the life out of everything… which is a bummer as I never use it for video editing as I thought I would.