Well Perfect Dark was announced in E3.

http://kotaku.com/5280795/perfect-dark-xbla-looks-sharp-no-expansion-pak-required

They announced it somewhat from my knowledge on Xbox Live with a free theme but it seems to be new now for Kotaku.
I never played it but this might gain my interest if I don’t get enough money or enter a card for Battlefield 1943.

I haven’t played it either so I can’t wait! Apparently it’s going to have a bump in graphics. Well, HD obviously, but I bet they’ll do some other stuff with it aswell. I hope.

It’ll look like a really goooood looking N64 game.

I remember playing that game for long hours into the night…

I COULD NEVER GET PASSED THE LAST BOSS ON THIS GAME! Maybe I can now.

I beat this game many times over. I’m hoping I can go back to it, because trying to go back to Goldeneye is almost painful in how much it’s aged.

Maybe this game will actually not suck now that it’s free of the horrible N64 controller.

Still not interested in getting it though.

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]Maybe this game will actually not suck now that it’s free of the horrible N64 controller.

Still not interested in getting it though.[/quote]

Don’t understand the N64 controller hate.

I never have from him either, I liked that controller and the first double analog controll scheme for a console (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark)

I always loved the N64 controller.

Perfect Dark on XBLA pretty much swaps out the old textures, raises the resolution, and replaces models. You can tell the character models look new, and so do the gun models.

Now all they need to do is make sure they add more color to the textures, because it sort of has a washed out look at this point.

You’ve got to be kidding. You can’t even use the d-pad or the left shoulder button without having to change your grip. The single analog setup made playing a first person shooter unbearably horrible. The analog stick itself constantly broke. I never had a N64 controller last more than a year.

As I’ve said in the past: For someone like me who played FPSes on PC in the mid-late 90s, the N64 setup for “classics” like Goldeneye and PD was such a massive step backward in terms of control that I couldn’t stand playing either one of them. It was the very definition of gimped.

That’d one reason I played both games with dual analog sticks…

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]You’ve got to be kidding. You can’t even use the d-pad or the left shoulder button without having to change your grip. The single analog setup made playing a first person shooter unbearably horrible. The analog stick itself constantly broke. I never had a N64 controller last more than a year.

As I’ve said in the past: For someone like me who played FPSes on PC in the mid-late 90s, the N64 setup for “classics” like Goldeneye and PD was such a massive step backward in terms of control that I couldn’t stand playing either one of them. It was the very definition of gimped.[/quote]

For gamers who did not play FPS in the mid 90s the N64 controller was fine using the stick to look and the c buttons to move was fine by me.

You are generalizing it. You can’t expect every FPS to have free movement, aiming, and shooting although they are general traits. The Nintendo 64 is not a PC; you have to bear with the limitations provided. I don’t complain about modern console shooters about trying to switch weapons after shooting and aiming at the same time by unusually moving my index.

I just deal with it and have a fun time.

…but you could move and shoot and aim all at once in Goldeneye and PD, most people just didn’t. I used one of the dual controller options, and while it took a little getting used to holding two controllers, it totally worked having two analog sticks.

Honestly, as far as FPS games went, I was just happy to have a trigger, and that’s what made it so cool to my childish mind at the time.

I still feel the same…

But the Xbox controllers have always been the best FPS controllers because they have TWO triggers, which is awesome.

But yeah, N64 controller had its shortcomings, but I loved all the colors you could get it in (yellow, red, omg) and it worked pretty well most of the time. But yeah the analog sticks did break a lot. I think I had one that broke, but that’s all.

Wait, hold up a second.

I’m not supposed to expect the games I play to control well? Even when it was a standard I was accustomed to that predated the N64? You’re going to have to come up with something better than that.

And Asrugan…needing two controllers to get a decent button setup out of the game?

As much as I hate to go with something overused, this applies:

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]Wait, hold up a second.

I’m not supposed to expect the games I play to control well? Even when it was a standard I was accustomed to that predated the N64? You’re going to have to come up with something better than that. [/quote]
Take it easy dude.

You are comparing two different control schemes with FPSs that are on each platform. The N64 controller in a FPS environment is not going to be dynamic and frantic as PC shooters, but at least it was doing something for shooters in the console environment. I am not trying to convince (although I did earlier). I don’t really know what I typed but I mostly don’t care anymore. I end here that this part of the thread was unnecessary.

Anyways, looks cool. I wonder how the industry would respond when this gets released.

I thought the N64 controller worked well for games like Star Fox but for shooters it was pretty terrible.

Like I said for people who have not played FPS’s on PC’s the N64 controller was not a “step back” for them.

I saw no problem with it, it was better control, and there was nothing on the market with dual analog at the time. It felt more natual than you think (actually, it felt alot like using a Wiimote and nunchuck …)