The All-Nighter

Something I’ve been doing less and less. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that it’s been over 7 or 8 months since I intentionally stayed up all night of my own accord. (That’s not counting the sleep troubles I had over the Winter or when I stayed up for my trip to Florida in April)

Certain games really give a vibe of being all-night games. Generally these games are RPGs, Online Multiplayers, and Turn-based Strategies. They have to be games that you can see yourself playing for hours on end without growning bored. My personal favorites to stay up all night playing are:

-Tales of the Abyss
-Team Fortress 2
-Guardian’s Crusade
-Pokemon Ruby
-Chrono Cross
-Final Fantasy VII
-Civilization 2

In fact, the first time I beat Tales of the Abyss was an all-nighter back in Summer '07 and I’ve played through Final Fantasy VII several times in all-night “No Save” games (Which, by the way, is extremely difficult and took me 3 tries to pull off).

So, tonight I’ll be pulling another all-nighter. My first one since Summer 2008. Partly out of tradition, partly out of fear that, as I’m becoming an adult that I won’t be able to do it for much longer, and partly because I want to be up in time for “The King of Kong” and E3. I’ll be playing Tales of the Abyss tonight, because its one of my two favorite games (The other being Brave Fencer Musashi) and because its been so long since I’ve beaten it.

Wish me luck, comrades! And post about your all-night gaming experiences and what games you feel fit the description of an all night long game.

LONG LIVE YOUTH AND THE POWER OF THE GAME!

EDIT: How could I forget Chrono Cross?

Super Smash Bros Brawl, when I’m with my boys its great! We play all night until like 5 its great, I’m always shocked when its like 4 in the morning because time fly’s so fast when your playing.

Halo 3 is another one, I can play big team for hours on end. So fun every game is different and crazy unpredictable things still happen to keep it fresh God do I love me some Halo.

Left 4 Dead When the survival pack came out I got back into it and me and my team would try to break records its addicting trying to work on your FPS zombie skillz.

Enjoy it while you can because are you grow older, the desire to do such a thing disappears.

I honestly don’t even remember my last “All Nighter” because it has been that long since I’ve done such a thing.

[quote=“Kumiko”]Enjoy it while you can because are you grow older, the desire to do such a thing disappears.

I honestly don’t even remember my last “All Nighter” because it has been that long since I’ve done such a thing.[/quote]

OLD PEOPLE!!!

Seriously though… there’s nothing quite like being tired at 2 in the afternoon. And being up playing games as the sun comes up… man, it’s a wonderful feeling.

And this song (Tales of the Abyss Spoilers) is just wonderful to hear as the sun comes up.

/sentimental gayness.

I’m generally up when the sun comes up because I am nocturnal. I generally work in the afternoon and the evening, so my sleeping schedule has turned things around to where I typically get up between 1-2pm and go to sleep something around 5-7am the next day depending on how tired I am. >_>

So I guess that’s one reason why the feeling died for me; it has become my typical habit if I’m not working.

[quote=“Kumiko”]I’m generally up when the sun comes up because I am nocturnal. I generally work in the afternoon and the evening, so my sleeping schedule has turned things around to where I typically get up between 1-2pm and go to sleep something around 5-7am the next day depending on how tired I am. >_>

So I guess that’s one reason why the feeling died for me; it has become my typical habit if I’m not working.[/quote]

Yeah, tonight hasn’t felt as awesome for me as it did in the past, either. I think I know the reason, but I’d rather not go dumping my personal problems on the internet out of fairness to the rest of you. God, I’m depressed now though.

The two games I remember not only pulling all nighters they were entire day…ers lol. The first was Majora’s Mask. Such a fun and interesting take on OOT that I played beat it then played it again. The other is getting all gold medals on Rogue Squadran for the 64 and becoming a supreme allied commander.

Smash Bros.
Halo 2/3
Gears of War
Final Fantasy
Megaman
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Mario
Oblivion

The games that seem a bit generalized is cause I could any one of them and still call them all nighters except for maybe most of the Mario games lol.

Ah yes…I know that feeling quite well and it can suck all the enjoyment right out of it.

Well that settles it. I’m gonna jog to the park and watch the sunrise. Be back later.

I found that listening to music helps as well. Perhaps (if you have a MP3), you should try listening to somethings that fit your current mood.

I know that with me if I listen to some songs with themes regarding how I feel, I feel a bit better because I let the song release the emotion for me.

[quote=“Kumiko”]I found that listening to music helps as well. Perhaps (if you have a MP3), you should try listening to somethings that fit your current mood.

I know that with me if I listen to some songs with themes regarding how I feel, I feel a bit better because I let the song release the emotion for me.[/quote]

Whoa whoa, this thread is still about all night gaming.

So now I’m back to Tales of the Abyss. I await more replies after people wake up.

[SPOILER]The Sunrise was beautiful, BTW.[/SPOILER]

[quote=“Kumiko”]I found that listening to music helps as well. Perhaps (if you have a MP3), you should try listening to somethings that fit your current mood.

I know that with me if I listen to some songs with themes regarding how I feel, I feel a bit better because I let the song release the emotion for me.[/quote]

Is it funny that i like listening to Vegetas super saiyan theme to get myself pumped up??

I’m still on my 2nd/3rd working habits, so all nighter is relative for me. I still occasionally go over to a friend’s house or vise versa and we’ll play games til 6amish, but in those cases I’ll sleep a good part of the day. I’ve only had maybe 2-3 days in the last year where I did that then stayed up a full sleep cycle. At 33, it’s not as attractive a it once was (but it’s still doable)

Games I can recall playing through a whole night:
SMB2
SMB3
Zelda 2
Faxanadu
Megaman 2
Powerball (Genesis)
Blaster Master
Little Nemo Dream Master
FF III (snes)
Castlevania IV
Mischief Makers
Goldeneye (multiple times)
Perfect Dark
Zelda: Wind Waker
Oblivion
Mass Effect

oh, and Everquest, about a dozen or more times.

You forgot Halo. :frown;

Also, unranked TF2 matches with no time limits that go for nine rounds.