Star Trek Thread of WOW

OMG…I didn’t even think it was possible but Abrams has successfully rebooted the Star Trek movie franchise.

It’s a movie that is just shot fantastically well, you may get tired of the lens flare but I think it gives it a nice classy charm.

The entire cast was great as well, it’s like everyone just properly fits in their roles and the charisma between them is great.

I just can’t say enough good things about it. Go see it tomorrow or hell catch a midnight showing on the West Coast.

I want to see it just for Zachary Quinto and Simon Pegg.

I’m taking my dad to it on Monday (he got me started watching old reruns of the original long ago)

long ago? In a Galaxy far, far, away?

Wrong movie.

Long ago for most of you (around 1984’). I’ve always been more a fan of Star Trek over Star Wars anyways.

Star Trek reruns were on at 4 in the afternoon on our local channel. I still remember being REALLY excited by the news a new show was going to be on (Next Generation). I’ve seen pretty much every episode of every Star Trek, cept maybe some of Season 5 of Enterprise (was damn hard to find, they put it on at terrible times).

My favorite is probably “The Thaw”, a Voyager episode where several of the crew get trapped in a VR world run by a manefistation of fear, a clown played by Michael McKean.

If you like Star Trek, and like to read, I’d suggest also Prime Directive (from which some small elements were drawn from for this new movie) and How Much for Just the Planet? (a comedy novel about Kirk and crew ending up in a bidding war with some klingon’s for the rights to a dilithium rich planet with…eccentric residents.)

A STAR TREK MOVIE FOR EVERYONE! LOL. Looks like I’m going to see it. Is it in IMAX?

I’ve heard ppl say they saw it in Imax, yes (but it’s not around here)

There are alot of IMAX’s in Texas so I’m hitting one up for sure.

IMAX on Wednesday bitches. :cool;

TNG > Original though.

lolno.

Seeing it tomorrow night.

Should be great.

[youtube]02LgdXVkXgM&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Just awsome…

and this leaves so much open for them to do, since everything from here out is an alternate timeline

Heheh, I also loved seeing GI Joe and Transformer trailers back to back before the movie, my childhood dreams come true (and I’m sure Hasbro isn’t crying either)

Star Trek: Go to White Castle

lol

[size=200]SPOILERS BELOW[/size]

Wat?

I thought Star Trek was bad.

Really. Bad.

First of all, the whole time traveling is a gimmick. Now, I could point out all of the things that don’t work with this movie. But I’ll spare it because I don’t care. (And I don’t know too much about it)

The fact is, Time Traveling is in Star Trek alot, so, if this was a reinvention, WHY USE WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BEFORE?

The special effects and actors were great, but besides that, the plot was weak as fuck.

Yeah it wasn’t OMGORGASMIC like some people said but I thought it had a solid story and effects, even if there were a few niggling things on the sci-fi side. 9/10

I’ve got to agree. Some people really overhyped the movie.

Trex, a 9/10 is an OMGORGASMIC movie…

[quote=“JPjuice23”][size=200]SPOILERS BELOW[/size]

Wat?

I thought Star Trek was bad.

Really. Bad.

First of all, the whole time traveling is a gimmick. Now, I could point out all of the things that don’t work with this movie. But I’ll spare it because I don’t care. (And I don’t know too much about it)

The fact is, Time Traveling is in Star Trek alot, so, if this was a reinvention, WHY USE WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE BEFORE?

The special effects and actors were great, but besides that, the plot was weak as fuck.

—[/quote]

Plot and science (red matter anyone?) was all a bit weak, but the time travel WAS a totally new thing for the franchise…

!!!

Yes, new. Every time travel episode of Star Trek finds the crew of which ever ship going back to repair whatever damage has been done to the timeline. In this movie, it wasn’t even considered, as for everyone but spock (original) this WERE alreay like they were supposed to be.

I saw Star Trek yesterday and I have to say, it turned out better than I expected but I didn’t feel it was ultra amazing:

[SPOILER]
To me, the first half an hour or so (after the first ten minutes telling the story of Kirk’s father) felt too choppy. I get what they were trying to do but it didn’t feel as thought out as the rest of the film. Seriously, the part where young Kirk (when he’s like 12) is speeding down the highway felt out of place. I understand that they were trying to present this idea of him being a reckless, rebel but they did it again with the fight at the bar. So was it really needed? Personally, I felt it made the beginning a bit harder to truly follow since it jumped around with ages between Kirk and Spock.

Then the romance between Spock and Uhura felt completely unnecessary. The development of it was never really there; sure, we got the bit about him being her mentor and them having known each other for sometime, but nothing was really hinted on a romantic level. Then, out of no where, she’s all over him (lucky bitch) multiple times in the rest of the film, which made it feel like it was there for the sake of a romance in the movie.

To me, something like that can really pull a movie down because it’s decent enough chucks to throw off the film’s flow. Though I will say that the rest of it was very good. I’m glad the bit with Nimoy was relevant to the plot and actually thought out over him just being thrown in there.

Overall, it was good and entertaining movie but it’s not a “rush out and see” if you ask me.[/SPOILER]