Some stuff I actually could learn

Between two weeks of cello lessons, an introduction to the A and D strong, and an early introduction to octaves, I could actually learn to play some game themes:

[youtube]fu_iQQXm3wQ[/youtube]

[youtube]35wUVATLPMQ[/youtube]

And with a little more work I could play:

[youtube]EwvxH4mHEt0[/youtube]

Maybe even this:

[youtube]BSbgMzznyhw[/youtube]

If I can put up with that guy…

I’m happy that I could actually play those with enough practice but seeing that these people playing them are at least nine years younger than me makes me sad…Because I know for a fact that my attempts would be scratchy sounding. :frowning:

Ugh I know what you mean, especially that age difference. And I know I’ll be your age when I start learning piano so it’ll be exactly the same situation…

I wanna learn to play the SMB3 theme first. It’s just one of those things I’d love to tap out randomly when I’m near a piano. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and Kumi- you’re making progress. That makes you more successful so far than 90% of the others who attempt something like this over the age of 18, congrats.

Well thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. XD

If it’s one thing I’ve learned is that passion overcomes age. (At least that’s what I tell myself so I don’t feel bad when I go to my lessons and the person both before and after me have been playing since grace school.) I wasn’t given the luxury to join a school band or orchestra despite interest but even with that, I feel weird playing some simply little piece whenever they’re still in the room.

It helps to want to learn over just learning because the school or parents made you. (Not saying that that’s the only reason why they join but still, you have to admit that a lot of those really young kids probably aren’t doing it by choice.) Even before I decided to buy the cello, I listened to a shit ton of music. Orchestra tracks from games, classical, cello metal, etc…Just listening to that music for months and trying to visualize the bow and hand moments actually helped.

I haven’t written my update from my second week of lessons in my ‘Die Cellistin’ thread, but anyway, I was actually able to pick up the pitch of the notes very well. Even with only being introduced to the note placement on the strings for a day, I was able to quickly learn whether or not I was playing the right not without looking just by the sound due to how much music I listened to and continue to listen to.

That’s why I’m trying to find simple songs that I know by sound well in hopes that being familiar with it before hand might help me learn it. That way I’m still learning the right notes (all of those songs contain the notes I’ve been taught in the past 2 weeks) and at least feel like a bad ass because I’ll hopefully soon be able to say, “Yeah, I can play the Metal Gear theme.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Well keep truckin. :stuck_out_tongue: You have a lot of my respect already.

However I probably won’t be too big a visitor to these threads because they’re too painful. :frowning: But anyways I hope you enjoy yourself. :slight_smile:

Just do what I did and say, “Screw you world! I’m gonna do this!”

You can buy a keyboard for a couple hundred. It might not be a full blown piano, but it will at least give you something to start practicing on. (Unless you know someone with an actually piano.) The piano is a very popular instrument, so I’m sure if you looked around in the yellow pages or talked to the music department at your school, someone could guide you in the direction of where you can get lessons.

Just start saving up some money and you’ll do alright. (It took me about a month to save up for my starter cello and I’ve just been cutting back on buying new games to pay for lessons.) They might be pricey but it’s actually really helped me deal with a lot of shit in my life.

My sister has one of those digital pianos, it’s not too high end but it has all the keys and they make sounds when you hit them…

Like I said though, music isn’t a big red flashing concern for me right now with all the stuff happening around me. I hope I’ll remember to pursue it when things settle down a bit.

I would definitely go for the MGS2 theme first.

It’s amazingly easy on a load of instruments. Even my guitar. It’s easy as hell to play, most VG songs are.

Me, Ryan and you are gonna all start band.

Maybe we’d have a drummer if SOMEONE would play RB2 on drums more. >___>

someone who’s in alabama.

And black.

And name rhymes with Shad Scrufton.

[quote=“nightshade_II”]I would definitely go for the MGS2 theme first.

It’s amazingly easy on a load of instruments. Even my guitar. It’s easy as hell to play, most VG songs are.

Me, Ryan and you are gonna all start band.

Maybe we’d have a drummer if SOMEONE would play RB2 on drums more. >___>

someone who’s in alabama.

And black.

And name rhymes with Shad Scrufton.[/quote]

What the hell am I gonna play?

Saxophone?

:stuck_out_tongue: