Silent Hill: Shattered Memories E3 Walkthrough

[youtube]FWN0pcVSi_k[/youtube]

[youtube]ISY4KqH7gsw[/youtube]

Schnaps.

Apparently IGN’s vids show much more of the demo:

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14325477/vids_1.html

Loading now.

Peach Schnapps

This could be the best game I’ve seen on the Wii to date.

“This game plays yu as much as you play it”

Oh hell yes, I’ve been waiting for a line like that since Eternal Darkness.

Holy crap, the third IGN video really got my adrenaline pumping. I won’t spoil anything other than say the way they show lowering health is brilliant, and the move to not have weapons was really, really brilliant.

I still could have seen simplistic melee weapons in this, just for defense, but yeah that trailer is tense.

i think they should of had environment traps that would require you to think to eliminate yours foes

Really loving this everything getting cold and frozen over rusted and the running over fighting this game is gonna be awesome.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-silent-hill/50463

Based off of that the game could be different for each person like a beer can being a soda can for someone else.

So at first I was expecting this to be just remake of the first game. However…It’s not and I want it so damn badly.

The game actually looks amazing and could possibly be the horror game I’ve been waiting for. I love how it focuses on actually surviving. This is an aspect that horror games seem to have forgotten. I like how combat isn’t the main factor; it’s about escaping and using whatever the hell you can find to do it.

It also contains some horror elements that I haven’t seen in years. I like how everything is engulfed in darkness with the flashlight being the main source of light. This is the great example of how you can have a game with an over the shoulder camera view but still have it be a bit frightening because you are limited to only what is in front of you. It leaves you still feeling vulnerable will still giving you a feeling that you’re in control of the game.

I’m also really curious on setting how in-depth the “psychological engine” goes. I know that the questionnaire will probably effect things and I know that they said how you handle scenarios will effect situations later on…But I’m really curious to explore how much the concept of how you interact with things effects the game as well. Is someone who takes the time to look at everything going to have a different experience compared to someone who rushes through things? How exactly is it going to adjust itself to my fears to give me an intense moment?

Those are the things I want to know.

Yes, it does seem like it was made for you and anyone else critical of how the horror genre has turned out these past few years.

RE psychological engine: I’m very, very hesitant on this too, however it does seem to be really deep. If you watched the vids in the OP, you’d know the answering machine has the wife. Depending on what you answer, someone at E3 got the husband and he was really irate. Like Gillian said, it could switch out the cans. From the dev interview when it was revealed they mentioned changing things based on if you looked at that girly mag.

So, I still don’t know if it’ll deliver all that they’ve said, but if it doesn’t it still looks to be impressively deep.

Another thing that impressed me during the demo was his commentary based on what you looked at. I really liked that.

New “Where’s Cheryl” Trailer

The ending… oh man. Great music in the first half too.

Edit- Embedded:

[gametrailers]50852[/gametrailers]

[quote=“Andrex”]New “Where’s Cheryl” Trailer

The ending… oh man. Great music in the first half too.

Edit- Embedded:

[gametrailers]50852[/gametrailers][/quote]

Of course it’s great music. It’s Akira Yamaoka and he brought Mary Elizabeth McGlynn back…Fuck yeah!

[quote=“Andrex”]Yes, it does seem like it was made for you and anyone else critical of how the horror genre has turned out these past few years.

RE psychological engine: I’m very, very hesitant on this too, however it does seem to be really deep. If you watched the vids in the OP, you’d know the answering machine has the wife. Depending on what you answer, someone at E3 got the husband and he was really irate. Like Gillian said, it could switch out the cans. From the dev interview when it was revealed they mentioned changing things based on if you looked at that girly mag.

So, I still don’t know if it’ll deliver all that they’ve said, but if it doesn’t it still looks to be impressively deep.

Another thing that impressed me during the demo was his commentary based on what you looked at. I really liked that.[/quote]

Well I’ve noticed that in three different trailers, the first person who Harry talks to was different. One featured a blond waitress with cleavage, another was a bitchy cop with her hair up in a pony tail, and the the third was a more nice cop with brown hair that hung down. When reading Kotaku’s impressions, it seemed like even the questionnaire in the beginning changed. So it seems like some drastic changes happen before the game even starts.

Needless to say, this is rekindling my hope for horror games that has died since…Well…Silent Hill 2 or Fatal Frame 2 or maybe even Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. (At least four long years since I had a truly satisfying experience horror wise.)

You’re right.

[quote]Shattered Memories is a re-imagining of the first Silent Hill from 1999, and Barlow wanted to bring the gameplay and the story forward to better reflect how gamers play ten years after the original. As such, they’ve kept the core emotional story - Harry searching for his missing daughter - and crafted a new, contemporary story around it, relevant to today’s audience. Longtime fans will recognize a few returning characters, but don’t expect the same motives and interactions as before.

That, in part, is due to the all-knowing, all-seeing Psych Profile system that follows your every move. The game opens with a flash-forward to a psychologist’s office where you fill out a questionnaire, giving you a base profile to start from. That alone changes the world around you once you reach the Hill; you might run into a female cop who’s openly hostile to you if you admitted to a little infidelity on the form. From there, everything you see and do in the game continues to evolve your environment. If you’ve had a drinking problem, where another play sees soda cans, you’ll see beer bottles. Keep checking out the girly posters scattered around town, and that cop might also sport some cleavage… and the monsters crawling out of the darkness take on grotesquely female traits.

Moreover, you’ll return to the psychologist’s office throughout the game for more and deeper tests. Barlow stayed light on specifics, but indicated they would take a more advanced tone than the questionnaire, such as Rorschach-like tests. Barlow and game director Mark Simmons brought in composer Akira Yamaoka and University of England psychologists to consult on the game, and actually went into therapy themselves as part of the research process.

Neither Barlow nor Hulett would confirm the inclusion of boss battles in the game, suggesting that players would instead face something more like boss situations… moments of high dramatic tension that make you call on all your skills to survive.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories has been clocked at 6 to 9 hours, but replayability on this one is going to be high.[/quote]

Silent Hill Roundtable

Psychology has been a field I’ve been wanting to look into career wise. So I’m very, very intrigued by the psychological tests the game has.

I can’t wait to start analyzing people I know based on how their game is turning out. >_>

Though I’m curious as to if the game analyzing anything fear wise…Like if someone shows signs of being claustrophobic, does the game alter in anyway to make locations seem smaller? If someone shows signs of nyctophobia, does the game get darker? It’s interesting to see how the game’s story changes depending on the player, but I hope they didn’t forget to incorporate a person’s phobias and own uneasiness too,

Why don’t you take a crack at the Draken. I’d love to see what’s going on inside that head. :stuck_out_tongue: