Scourge the Hedgehog's Official Sonic the Hedgehog Thread.

Which type of Sonic game do you prefer?

• Adventure-Style game with an emphasis on story and world-building.
  • Classic 2D games from the SEGA Genesis Era.
  • 2D Boost-to-win games from the DS era.
  • Modern 2D-3D transition games with a Boost-to-win formula.
  • 3D Mario-Style Gameplay from Lost World.
  • 3D Platforming with combat from Sonic Boom.
  • Anything, so long as it’s good.

0 voters

What’s New:

SEGA and Nintendo launch the official website for Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games, the arcade edition.
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/02/more-screens-and-footage-of-ms-rio-arcade-edition/

Worlds Collide Complete! The entire thing is available now!

Sonic Megadrive Anniversary Issue Revealed!

Sonic the Hedgehog is my favorite franchise of all time, slightly edging out NiGHTS into Dreams despite the first game being my favorite game of all time.

List your favorite games. List your least favorite games. Talk about your history with the series. Talk about upcoming games, laugh at Egoraptor and Projared, whatever lol

And if you hate the Sonic franchise, rant. Because I know you’re going to. No one cares.

Post tweets from the official Sonic twitter, because we must all know the true speed of fast.

Official Sonic Buying Guide:

DO Buy:

Sonic the Hedgehogs 1-3,
Sonic and Knuckles,
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Advance 1-3,
Sonic Battle,
Sonic Pinball Party,
Sonic Rush,
Sonic Rush Adventure,
Sonic Colors DS,
Sonic Generations 3DS.
Sonic Colors Wii,
Sonic Generations (Buy it on Steam, that’s the best version because resolution selection and mods),
Sonic 1 on Game Gear
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic CD (The PS3/Xbox 360/Steam versions are the definitive versions unless you love the easier past transitions from the Mega CD version),
Knuckles Chaotix,
Sonic Jam (The definitive versions of the Genesis games),
Sonic Gems Collection,
Sonic Mega Collection/Plus,
Sonic Pocket Adventure,
Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine,
Genesis Ultimate Collection for PS3/Xbox 360.
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing. BOTH of them. Trust me.
Sonic the Fighters. Available on console for Xbox 360/PS3.

DON’T Buy:

Shadow the Hedgehog,
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006,
Tails’ Sky Patrol,
Sonic R,
Sonic Labyrinth,
Sonic Blast,
Sonic Genesis (Worst port of ANY game ever),
Sonic and the Secret Rings,
Sonic and the Black Knight,
Sonic Drift,
Sonic Drift 2,
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric,
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal.
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic Rivals 1-2.

These games are purely preference-based; as a result, I cannot recommend them to everyone. They’re not necessarily bad however:

Sonic Unleashed (Xbox 360, PS3),
Sonic Unleashed (PS2, Wii),
Tails’ Adventure,
Sonic 2 on Game Gear
Sonic Adventure Deluxe (Gamecube version is the definitive version of this game period), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle,
Sonic Lost World,
Sonic Lost World 3DS,
Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn version is the definitive version).
Sonic Riders
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games/ Winter Olympic Games. These game are here because they exist and someone is playing them right now.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4/Episode 2. I think they’re good, but others disagree. >_>

If you disagree with any of these, let me know. This will be a work in progress.

Don’t like ANY of the games? Read the comics! The Sonic franchise is multi-faceted, so you technically don’t have to play any of the games to be a fan.

Here’s the recommended reading order: en-forums.sonicscanf.org/topic/3 … es/?page=1

Sonic the Hedgehog (StH) = The mainline Sonic the Hedgehog series.
Knuckles the Echidna = A 32-issue series about Knuckles defending his island and its inhabitants.
Sonic Universe (SU) = Sonic Universe is a companion series to the mainline Sonic the Hedgehog series that ties into the mainline series. It focuses more on world-building, and characters NOT Sonic.

Sonic the Comic = A separate Sonic comic altogether that ended in the early 2000s. Different storyline entirely, made in Europe. It’s a good read.

Sonic Boom: An Archie Sonic series based in the Sonic Boom universe. Focuses on comedy.

Megaman: An archie comic series based on the Blue Bomber! Ties into the Sonic series by Archie.

The Lara Su Chronicles: KEN PENDERS WHAT ARE YOU DOING AHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!! Don’t acknowledge these.

Like cartoons? Here’s a watch guide:

Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM: Released in the 90s, this show serves as the launchpad for the comics that goes into a different direction. This series spawned most of the early fanart of the series, and was hella dark with good pacing and storytelling and animation. Jaleel White is amazing as always. Definitely worth watching and buying the DVDs and keeping FOREVER.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog: A comedy-based show released in the 90s with questionable animation starring Scratch and Grounder, Coconuts, and the first iteration of Sonic to use Jaleel White as the main voice actor. Hit or miss depending on your preference, watch with discretion. I personally love this series, it’s what made me a Sonic fan.

Sonic Underground: An action-adventure series starring Knuckles, new villains Sleet and Dingo, along with Sonic’s brother and sister, Manic and Sonia. Sonic and his siblings are all voiced by Jaleel White. Yaaaayyy.

Don’t watch this one. Stay far away. Sonic’s mom and Sonic himself are OK, but everything else is unwatchable.

Sonic X: A Sonic series released in the early 2000s starring the entire cast of Sonic Adventure 2/Heroes, with new characters like Christopher Thorndyke and the Menorex.I dislike this show, but most love it, so check it out and see if it’s your thing.

Sonic Boom: The most recent cartoon, based in the Sonic Boom universe. Deserves a watch if you like Sonic Boom

Sonic the Hedgehog OVA: An anime two-parter released as one movie in the early 2000s as Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, featuring Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, and METAL FUCKING SONIC. Also features a cameo from Sara “GreenSonic”" Garcia. It’s canon now, because I said so. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t recommend this enough. . Made by the same animators that made the FMV cutscenes in Sonic CD, this entire thing is incredible. Definitely worth watching, even if only to see Sonic get waxed by Metal.

Happy playing, and keep the speed going guys. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Little_Goten”]DON’T Buy:
Sonic 2 on Game Gear, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic the Hedgehog OVA: An anime two-parter released as one movie in the early 2000s as Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, featuring Knuckles, Tails, Eggman, and METAL FUCKING SONIC. Also features a cameo from Sara “GreenSonic”" Garcia. It’s canon now, because I said so. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t recommend this enough. . Made by the same animators that made the FMV cutscenes in Sonic CD, this entire thing is incredible. Definitely worth watching, even if only to see Sonic get waxed by Metal.

Happy playing, and keep the speed going guys. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Obligatory “This is way past cool!”

Those games are not that bad! Sonic 2 GG is just really hard. :stuck_out_tongue: And the wii games are not a good starting point but not bad to get to eventually. And the movie is awesome, even staring a woman named Sara. I have it on dvd of course. :smiley:

I’m probably just really salty but I cannot for the life of me play Sonic 2 on GG. It’s just so hard WTF? The majority of the people playing this game were eight, Sega, cool it lol

Oh I know. Even back then I think I maybe got to the second stage lol. But I have fond memories of it. :slight_smile: I have all 3 main GG games on my 3ds. Also I want to play Knuckles Chaotix but need an emulator since no re release.

[quote=“Sonic”]

Oh I know. Even back then I think I maybe got to the second stage lol. But I have fond memories of it. :slight_smile: I have all 3 main GG games on my 3ds. Also I want to play Knuckles Chaotix but need an emulator since no re release.[/quote]

I bought them on the original system. I remember playing Sonic 2 in high school and I was able to get passed the antlion back then. Can’t do it now though.

Knuckles Chaotix is great once you get used to the team mechanic. Your only hope for playing it on a new device is to emulate it since Sega forgot it existed.

Also, updated the list and reorganized it so it’s more readable.

I always wanted a Sega Genesis when I was little, and now I have one. Made sure I had Sonic 1 and 2 on the system.

My first real foray into the series was Sonic Advance and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I use to like playing that game more than I liked playing Melee. Then for about a year, I didn’t play many games in general for reasons I don’t want to specify, but I then started buying more games (mostly for GameCube) and I ended up with Adventure DX, Heroes, and the Mega and Gems collections.

There was a period where I didn’t play much Sonic afterwards (I played Secret Rings, but that one was mediocre.) But I finally ended up getting a powerful PC that I can actually play games on, and I ended up getting Sonic Generations for $10. I loved it and it pretty much rekindled my love for Sonic.

Guess you could say I’m very much a Sonic fan. Even though I didn’t play the games when I was little, I did watch the cartoons.

Random comment on Rise Of Lyric. It’s not horrible, but it’s still just “eeeeeehhhhhh?” I wouldn’t recommend it, but there have been worse games this generation.

Yup, you are. It’s never too late to get into a good franchise. :slight_smile:

I actually liked Rise of Lyric. A lot of things were wrong with it, like the graphics, but it was a cheap walky platformer. Cartoon was also awesome, glad we can agree on that. Oh yeah, and Shadow was also okay.

Boom > Adventures of > OVA > SatAM > Underground > X

Also waiting for payday to get Worlds Collide: The Complete Epic

[quote=“knuclear200x”]I actually liked Rise of Lyric. A lot of things were wrong with it, like the graphics, but it was a cheap walky platformer. Cartoon was also awesome, glad we can agree on that. Oh yeah, and Shadow was also okay.

Boom > Adventures of > OVA > SatAM > Underground > X

Also waiting for payday to get Worlds Collide: The Complete Epic[/quote]

Disagreement is perfectly alright, video games are about enjoying yourself. Play what you want.

A youtuber I know can speed run Sonic '06 and, despite his hatred of the game, finds fun in discovering broken junk in the code.

Glad to see you and others in here BTW.

instagram.com/p/BBk4uVBMZF3 … hehedgehog

People are speculating that this is either Sonic Adventure 3, or an April Fools joke.

Looks more like Sonic Generations 2.

I’m thinking it’s more simple than that. The Madeon album that this emulates is called “Adventure,” so I think this is just a clever mashup art(Sonic Adventure, yeah, puns and stuff).

Original cover for context:

Now, if I’m wrong about this and it is a tease for Sonic Adventure 3 or something, feel free to put me on blast.

If it were a Sonic Generations 2, and it followed the same format of the first game, this is what I’d like the levels to be:

1: Star Light Zone
2: Metropolis Zone
& Knuckles: Sandopolis Zone
Adventure: Red Mountain
Adventure 2: Crazy Gadget
Heroes: Mystic Mansion
06: N/A
Unleashed: Eggmanland
Colors: Aquarium Park

That’s likely it because the resemblance is too close to be anything else.

Aaron Webber, you magnificent bastard lol

[quote=“sixsicksixes”]If it were a Sonic Generations 2, and it followed the same format of the first game, this is what I’d like the levels to be:

1: Star Light Zone
2: Metropolis Zone
& Knuckles: Sandopolis Zone
Adventure: Red Mountain
Adventure 2: Crazy Gadget
Heroes: Mystic Mansion
06: N/A
Unleashed: Eggmanland
Colors: Aquarium Park[/quote]

I’d love to see them delve into the obscure way more, so my wishlist would probably be something like:

Sonic 1: Star Light
Sonic 2: Oil Ocean

Boss: Revamped version of Sonic 1’s Final Zoone

Sonic CD: Palmtree Panic
Sonic 3&K: Flying Battery (I NEEEEEEEEEEED IT)

Boss: Revamped version of Metallic Madness Boss

Knuckles Chaotix: Marina Madness
Sonic R: Radiant Emerald, because Super Sonic Racing

Boss: Red Metal Sonic

Sonic Adventure: Twinkle Park
Sonic Adventure 2: Crazy Gadget

Boss: LIVE AND LEARN, HANGING ON THE EDGE OF TOMORROW

Sonic Unleashed: Mazuri
Sonic Lost World: Frozen Factory

Boss: Egg Devil Ray, Sonic Unleashed

Then after that is the final boss.

Found this:

[youtube]Yj5XlkOevOY[/youtube]

Don’t remember many of them, but I remember the Honey Nut Cheerios one, the jullienne fries one, and the pasta one.

Also, I’ve been looking through my images folder, and two video game characters make up the bulk of them. One of them being Sonic, oddly enough.

What we need is instead of Generations, we need a Sonic Multiverse. Sonic Modern and Classic, now joined by the cast of the Archie comics, OVA, X, etc. and if they aren’t butthurt, the cast of Boom.

I’d love to see the freedom fighters in another game. :slight_smile:

And those commercials are amazing still. Love all of SEGA’s old stuff, with the exception of Theater of the Eye. That was weird and uncomfortable.

So I think we all know Sonic Boom’s getting a second season: sonicstadium.org/2015/10/son … nfirmed-2/
But according to Wikipedia (and they don’t even have a source,) they’re going to have returning characters like Big The Cat and Espio The Chameleon.

I was just thinking, if they have Espio in Sonic Boom, or he returns in another game, is he going to still be voiced by Troy Baker, or is he going to drop the role because of his new-found fame like he dropped Sol Badguy?

They pretty much replaced everyone except for Mike Pollock after Sonic Unleashed, so probably not. As long as they work for that world, I suppose it won’t matter too much.

Also, I’m picturing Big in a thousand bandages and now I can’t stop laughing.