Random Video Game News

Consoles are always behind because of processing power obviously but I’m glad PC is paving the way.

I might get back into PC gaming at some point but atm I’ve got too much going on. The causal ability to not worry about specs so much with consoles is a bonus for me atm.

I’m finding as I get older, that I’ve played games that are so similar to what keeps getting released.

I’m currently playing Uncharted 4 and honestly, I’m confirming my feelings that the series needs to be left behind. Its run its course for the most part and needs to be given up for a while like Tomb Raider was or be reinvented entirely. Something like how God of War seems to be so far.

[quote=“SolomonGrundy”]

I’m currently playing Uncharted 4 and honestly, I’m confirming my feelings that the series needs to be left behind. Its run its course for the most part and needs to be given up for a while like Tomb Raider was or be reinvented entirely. Something like how God of War seems to be so far.[/quote]

Wow, you don’t like it, Grundy? I think it is probably the best one. I would like to play 2 again though.

[quote=“NorthStarKen”]

Wow, you don’t like it, Grundy? I think it is probably the best one. I would like to play 2 again though.[/quote]

It’s not that I don’t like it. I find certain things to be spot on. However some things are dated to me and some things just aren’t working for me in general.

Mechanics:

-Stealth, in games it’s typically awful and I hold it against any game that does it but not a huge amount. Uncharted has a formula and they’re sticking to it but it’s still a shitty system. A game that’s designed to be immersive has you hiding in tall grass? Tall grass and going up and breaking a man’s neck for an instant kill that nobody around notices provided they don’t directly see you while you jump back into the tall grass…

Games are anything but realistic, however when you’re doing something silly or arcadie in a world that’s showing you how realistic everything else is… it muddles things for me. I feel stupid using stealth to even thin the herd for the gun battle later. It’s all so dumb to me anymore.

-Platforming / Climbing. Look, it’s better than before but the rope gimmick is inadvertently hilarious at times and useless in others. The level where you get visited by Sam as Kid Nathan was a bad way to open things. The world again is realistic as can be, then you’re doing what essentially is American Ninja Warrior x 100 with ease and while you’re doing it, sassy banter between brothers. It didn’t come across as clever for me as it was out of place. This continues throughout the game but so far for me it hasn’t been such a wall to wall dose of it.

-Puzzles / Traps: Pretty basic fare here. Interesting backstory about pirates that’s so far only touched on. Some small relief when Nathan is sticking his hand in the walls for the switches that he doesn’t pretend his hand is gone for a gag to fool Sam. I was expecting that to happen and pre-cringing. Luckily they didn’t do it.

-Dialogue and Characters: Done well as usual, the banter is great. Right now I’m at the part where you find the towers and narrow them down to 2 to go and search and Sam splits off. I’m hoping to get a more interesting story here as it’s building still.

So far I feel that it’s by no means a “bad” game. I’m just feeling that it’s dated in terms of gameplay. Some of the tropes and gimmicks used are not currently what’s popular. It took a long time for pixel animation and what is now known as “retro” style games to come back. People didn’t want to stay in that era because of advancements, not because they didn’t like what they were playing.

That’s kind of how I feel. I’ve played Uncharted since 1 and I’ve kinda been here and done this. I want something a bit more unique. I’ll come back to this style in time as eventually it’ll be “retro” too. But I want world building and user created content and more freedom.

Not realistic jeep winching up muddy embankments while I can leap and jump endlessly with tiny fingerholds up and down buildings with a rope that makes me essentially poor man’s Spider-Man.

THE TRIAL OF KYLE BOSMAN

[youtube]ESzX_Q8TR-k[/youtube]

Resident Evil 4 Next Gen Release in August.

Pokemon can help you see dead people…

money.cnn.com/2016/07/09/technol … dead-body/

No Man’s Sky is 6GB. A lot of that is audio.

gamespot.com/articles/no-man … 0-6441663/

[quote=“AstralFrost”]No Man’s Sky is 6GB. A lot of that is audio.

gamespot.com/articles/no-man … 0-6441663/[/quote]

They need a killer soundtrack for sure. Being about space and exploration people are used to Star Wars type intense music. At least music that builds on the moment and doesn’t get in the way.

But the fact that all of your stuff is saved in a file and generated only when you’re there and doesn’t even register other players changes to planets etc… then I can see that saving a ton of data.

By the way, guess what? Garou Mark Of The Wolves is coming to PSVita and PS4!

blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/ … d-ps-vita/

[quote=“sixsicksixes”]By the way, guess what? Garou Mark Of The Wolves is coming to PSVita and PS4!

blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/ … d-ps-vita/[/quote]

That game is soooo good. Brings back some memories. I need to pick up Last Blade too, hopefully there will be a sale sometime.

Tombstone Raiders PS4 Release November 10th

Hype.

Meh, I have it on Xbox One and STILL never beat it. It didn’t really grab me for whatever reason like the first one did. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good game. I just haven’t had any desire to go back to it for months.

More people should be excited for this… drops Tuesday.

[youtube]4txT2EicrHE[/youtube]

MAJOR Final Fantasy vibes with that trailer.

I recall Easy Allies really hype for that game.

Intriguing Premise, it has.

Yuna also on a Pilgrimage to kill her self, she did.

[quote=“Giggler”]I recall Easy Allies really hype for that game.

Intriguing Premise, it has.

Yuna also on a Pilgrimage to kill her self, she did.[/quote]

The whole thing reminds me of the anime Moribito. Sacrifice to appease a God.

So Dizzy’s coming to Guilty Gear Xrd tomorrow, and she’s apparently free. Also, a new update apparently came out today, so I’ll see what it’s about (besides Dizzy being in the patch, of course.)

As played out as stories of self sacrifice are. There’s something wonderfully melancholy about a story where you feel you know how it ultimately is going to end despite the ups and downs.

It’s one reason I love FFX. You know the pilgrimage ends in essentially suicide. And the game consistently reminds you of that. But you also get to do other stuff that takes your mind off it, till you’re reminded again.

It makes things feel futile but then you wonder if it really will end with this or that character dieing, or if they’ll pull back from that plot point somehow. If they do, how will they do it? and it keeps your mind wandering.

When it’s done well anyways.

Rise of the Tomb Raider coming October 11th. New modes, skins, co-op, new difficulty. Stick it in my veins. There will even be an art book edition covering 20 years of Tomb Raider.