No Man's Sky ✪ Captain's Log

This game… Oh man… Just WOW.

I was SOOOOOOOO incredibly hesitant about this. Was not sure what I was getting into. But it is beautiful and unbelievable. Did not see one load time, spent a few hours on my starting planet, exited and flew up straight into space, docked at a space station, then flew to another undiscovered planet, this one is ocean and barren rock. My starting one had tons of trees and caves and no water that I could see. It had snow.

This game has to be experienced to be believed. I am in complete and total awe right now. They actually did it!

Damn you Gigs, i don’t know who i missed more… you or the L.C gifs.

So what’s the scoop on this Ken? I heard it was a survival game too, how does it handle player deaths?

Eagerly awaiting my copy.

I haven’t seen or read any reviews. I know it hasn’t had an interstellar (pun intended) reception but I’m still very much looking forward to it.

Glad to see you’re loving it, Ken. It’ll be interesting to see how our beginning planets differs from all of us.

[quote=“Son ALA”]Damn you Gigs, i don’t know who i missed more… you or the L.C gifs.

So what’s the scoop on this Ken? I heard it was a survival game too, how does it handle player deaths?[/quote]

Idk, I haven’t died yet. But from what I hear you drop your stuff and have to get back to it to recover.

But in terms of survival, you have your suit, life support system, your ship and mining tool/weapon, (and more). Each one degrades or runs low on power eventually and you use mining resources to power them back up.

Your ship uses up thruster fuel upon take off so you can only do it a certain amount of times until you have to refuel it with some plutonium.

It isn’t as big of a pain in the ass as it sounds, at least not to me. Some can find it annoying.

Your suit also has a temperature gauge.

I really love the aliens and their language system. You can find monoliths that teach you a word of their language. Each word you find turns a word into english on their subtitles (if they say that word) so you can better understand what they are saying. Aliens can teach you words as well. It is really cool.

Nice. I like the idea of discovering words. Is it 1 universal alien language or multiple?

I’ve died in space battles. You drop your stuff and get a marker to go back too. Traveling to markers and shit isn’t as easy at it sounds though. You need fuel of course the markers aren’t super in your face and blatent. Which is good for a sense of distance and travel. Bad for just being in a hurry and getting your shit back.

It’s far from a perfect game but the sense of wonder I get from it is beyond anything I’ve had in the last 10 years. How long will that last? I don’t know but just being in the game is a pleasure.

[quote=“Son ALA”]Damn you Gigs, i don’t know who i missed more… you or the L.C gifs.
[/quote]
We both know what the answer is.

I want you guys to detail your starting planet. I want to see how different is that opening amongst ourselves.

^^^ I will when I get some downtime Tai.

I THINK multiple. I know of 3 groups. The words have all been in one so far. Pretty sure there are multiple.

I’ve got no dogs in this fight and I’m glad y’all are having fun but daymn, One Man’s Lie is being crucified on Steam and GOG.

PC Gaming…

There can’t be a lie if they never said anything about what it was in the first place lol The whole thing has been mysterious from the start.

One could say…Donald Trump is just being mysterious then…

People keep asking him for detailed explanations…he just keeps on saying…“Believe me”…

Just like Sean Murray :face;

…and loook.

It’s a catch 22 now. Those that didn’t get crazy and expect more than what was said are disappointed and seek to validate that viewpoint. Those that take what it is and enjoy it are seen as delusional.

The game is about the size of itself and exploring it. Same as any MMO or adventure game. Except there aren’t dragons and plate armor and wenches serving mead.

You do the same shit you do in every other game, ever.

[quote=“SolomonGrundy”]It’s a catch 22 now. Those that didn’t get crazy and expected NOTHING have been validated. Those that expected EVERYTHING and got nothing but spent money are in denial.
[/quote]

FIXED

[quote=“Giggler”]

FIXED [/quote]

Not fixed, a gross oversimplification.

Like the success of motion controls for a time, people wanted a new way of playing a game. A new way of gaming period. We haven’t had one for a while and NMS promised to be a larger more spacelike world than ever before and that’s what it is. Planet sized planets, star system sized star systems… What other game has this?

Here’s a for instance. Uncharted comes along and does everything that Tomb Raider has in the past. But it’s heralded as phenomenal. It didn’t reinvent anything it just added better graphics and dialogue and voice acting. It’s just like any other 3rd person shooter you’ve played. The maps may be larger, more detailed etc… but people don’t shit on it because they have fun with it and stop caring.

NMS inspired people’s imaginations and they ran with it. They expected more than what was there because it’s fun to imagine things. Reality isn’t that simple.

How do you create say a space exploring game without realistic travel times? technologies? downtime? hazards? that exist in real life but also create a challenge that’s fun but not as stressful and shitty as real life?

Pokemon Go meanwhile takes the oldest of old ideas and puts them on our phones. We love it because it’s a different way of playing a game that’s an old tired formula. NMS is a better version of some of thing things we’ve had in the past like scale and atmosphere but it’s not mobile, it’s not motion controls, it’s not VR atm, it’s not holographic or anything “different” enough to get people to forget that it’s just a game like everything else.

A sci fi game in a world of first person shooters that are gritty on small maps with annual DLC.

The moral of the story? Know what style of games you like to play and judge your level of excitement according to that. I don’t care for dating sims. But if something like Catherine is coming out and everyone is losing their shit. I’m smart enough to know that I probably shouldn’t waste my money on it without renting or watching it or even flat out ignoring it.

[quote=“SolomonGrundy”]I’ve died in space battles. You drop your stuff and get a marker to go back too. Traveling to markers and shit isn’t as easy at it sounds though. You need fuel of course the markers aren’t super in your face and blatent. Which is good for a sense of distance and travel. Bad for just being in a hurry and getting your shit back.
[/quote]

Is there a time limit? Deaths in Ark used to be such a pain in the ass since you would have 10 minutes before your items decomposed.It sucked when you weren’t to familiar with your surroundings at first. Then I just started building random utility closets with a bed and a dresser full of necessities

Alright Tai. My planet was snowy with tons of red trees. It had many caves too. In fact, right where I started my crashed ship was by a giant cave. The more I explored outside my comfort zone the more creatures I discovered. Mine had life and the monitors were relaxed thankfully. One creature had a bear head with frog feet and a turtle shell back lol But the strangest I saw was like a giraffe or something but where the head was supposed to be were two tentacle things, it was bizarre.

It also had a bunch of outposts I saw once I first took flight. Then I had to figure out how to land lol Met my first couple aliens there and monoliths to learn their language. It is still my favorite planet so far but I am home biased. I named it earth 2.

I did find a close second yesterday that was fungal and toxic, including toxic rain. Everything was very yellow. The folks in Morrorwind would have liked it lol

What was yours like? And Grundy?

Have yet to get my hands on the game. If I’m lucky Amazon will ship it today. But, believe me once I do I’ll give my impressions and detail my starting planet.