Milo: "Smoke and Mirrors" -GameTrailers.com

Ripped from GAF.

[quote=“sykoex”]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-60-invisible-walls/51228
Shane Satterfield, Editor in Chief doesn’t really seemed to be all that impressed with his Milo demo. Although he did mention that he played the ball demo and it was very fun.
Skip to 4:35 where he makes the Milo comment.

I really hope it’s just because it was early or something. It’d suck if you really couldn’t interact with Milo in unique and meaningful ways.[/quote]

Well, this is Molyneux we’re talking about.

Wow Shane Satterfield got tired of trolling Sony now he’s on to MS. This truly is the age of Dragons

ANNNND if you thought this was real A.I then you got problems.

Yeah. Really its nice flash but if they can pull that off I’d be extremely impressed

People misunderstand what it is. There’s not much you can do about that.

This crap about it being smoke and mirrors is either ignorance or baseless speculation. Peter already stated that there were no puppeteers, and there is absolutely NO cheating.

The game isn’t done. I would hope that we can get at least a pre-alpha build before we start going for the throat on this one.

Much respect for Shane Satterfield though. I think that it just looked bad. Peter himself said as much.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]People misunderstand what it is. There’s not much you can do about that.

This crap about it being smoke and mirrors is either ignorance or baseless speculation. Peter already stated that there were no puppeteers, and there is absolutely NO cheating.

The game isn’t done. I would hope that we can get at least a pre-alpha build before we start going for the throat on this one.

Much respect for Shane Satterfield though. Me and him have discussed our disagreements before, and we have a mutual respect I think, but I think that it just looked bad. Peter himself said as much.[/quote]

Eh its a pre planned video they don’t have software that can really have the character completely react to you.

Wait, forget about the video.

Let’s talk about the claims that have been made on through the past week. The game is being designed to trick you into believing in this little boy. It isn’t about having emotional intelligence, but rather, to create the illusion thereof using voice recognition, facial recognition, and other Windows 7 based technologies.

What does “completely react” mean, though? This is why I say that there seems to be a degree of misunderstanding about what this actually is and is setting out to accomplish.

And Peter has been quite straightforward about what it is. So far people have speculated otherwise, but no one seems to reach a consensus on just how impressive this is, because it’s all interpretation of what’s been shown.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]Wait, forget about the video.

Let’s talk about the claims that have been made on through the past week. The game is being designed to trick you into believing in this little boy. It isn’t about having emotional intelligence, but rather, to create the illusion thereof using voice recognition, facial recognition, and other Windows 7 based technologies.

What does “completely react” mean, though? This is why I say that there seems to a degree of misunderstanding about what this actually is and is setting out to accomplish.

And Peter has been quite straightforward about what it is. So far people have speculated otherwise, but no one seems to reach a consensus on just how impressive this is, because it’s all interpretation of what’s been shown.[/quote]

The way Peter showed it made it seem like you could basically interact with Milo any way you wanted and he’d give a completely human response which I know is complete bullshit. I’m still wondering about the whole scan thing as well if they are even able to pull that off I’d still be impressed.

If they show it for more than the kickball and the car game I’ll be impressed. I’m really curious if they can get a game like Halo working on it because then that’d really be something.

Well you’ll get your wish, because they’ve said more ambitious games will be shown soon.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]Wait, forget about the video.

What does “completely react” mean, though? This is why I say that there seems to be a degree of misunderstanding about what this actually is and is setting out to accomplish.

And Peter has been quite straightforward about what it is. So far people have speculated otherwise, but no one seems to reach a consensus on just how impressive this is, because it’s all interpretation of what’s been shown.[/quote]

Yeah everyone is still like…what?

Well we’ll have to wait and see but I don’t see them coming up with anything too crazy simply because most third parties already struggle with motion control. I’ll be very happy if it ends up in mainstream games done well.

I think that’s going to be true for the most part with early third party titles. Developers have to get their bearings before they will start doing stuff that is actually interesting.

But of course you’ll probably see a lot of developers start with hybrids. That is to say, they will incorporate elements of Natal, while relying mostly on the 360 controller itself. So you could do something simple like use your scanned-in body to peer around corners in an FPS.

There are all sorts of applications for Natal, and it will just take developers time to get comfortable with it, and then start really designing around the functions.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]I think that’s going to be true for the most part with early third party titles. Developers have to get their bearings before they will start doing stuff that is actually interesting.

But of course you’ll probably see a lot of developers start with hybrids. That is to say, they will incorporate elements of Natal, while relying mostly on the 360 controller itself. So you could do something simple like use your scanned-in body to peer around corners in an FPS.

There are all sorts of applications for Natal, and it will just take developers time to get comfortable with it, and then start really designing around the functions.[/quote]

Maybe I don’t understand the technology but how can you use Natal and the 360 controller at the same time? Doesn’t it sense all your motion? My friend suggested the same thing but I don’t see how since Natal is tracking your movement supposedly.

Guys let’s face it, if they pull it off it’s cool, but Milo is really fucking gay.

:lol

I think it just depends on what the game itself is adapted to do. The game might not accept certain motions as valid because the developer didn’t design it to interpret full range motion.

…and how long did Molenyeux say they had been working on Milo… a few months now?!

I know games that look less impressive after YEARS of work. Let’s just keep in mind first gen Wii games, were they all that impressive at showing off just what the Wii could do?

If I can’t shoot Milo in the face for massive damage then the game fails.

what if you can push him in the lake. drown him, butcher him, and feed him to the dog?

Why do you people want to hurt poor Milo??? Treat him like you would treat a real 10 y/o boy :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: