Making an NES Game...

I’ve heard of this game in passing, but don’t know much about it. However, I found this video to be very insightful…

1 Like

I’ve been doing a lot of research into GB emulation and homebrew this past year and started writing an emulator myself… (<1% done lmao.) I love the idea of using retro hardware to teach kids about lower-level hardware/software stuff. Coming from the much higher-level world of web browsers and JavaScript, the limitations seem insane but I’ve had a lot of fun working within them and figuring stuff out.

I would love if one day Nintendo “opened” up the NES or GB to be a kind of Raspberry Pi learning platform. There’s a lot of potential here. It’s really fricking cool to be able to play your own game on a physical plastic cartridge on real hardware.

1 Like

Also, for NES games specifically, you can use NES Maker. You still need to know the hardware limitations of course.

http://trollburner.thenew8bitheroes.com/the-tools.html

Edit- Apparently it’s not free/open source, that’s lame. GB Studio is a similar tool for Game Boy but is open source.

1 Like

Yeah… I went to a conference for work a few years back and middle and high school kids were making their own gameboy games replicated for PC, but using all the hardware limitations of the original. One wasn’t too bad. Primative and all, but the kid did it by himself and said he did it in like 6 weeks.

I forget what the program was, but my brother had an old DOS thing back in 1992 or so that let you create your own game. I started to develop a game at my aunt’s house around a character called “Person Guy” and made really simplified stuff like Snowmen that would shoot carrot missiles and snowballs. Never got too far in it as I was rarely up her house, but it was entertaining while it lasted. If I ever had the patients, I would return to something like that.

Another fun article on porting DOOM to varirous consoles…

1 Like