I Rant about Modern JRPGs

So… I just finished Chrono Cross. Technically, this is my first full playthrough of the game since I never quite finished it on my last run. And the game really put it in perspective as to why most modern JRPGs come out of the box stinking worse than a pile of ass.

The answers: Everyone is trying to create the NEXT BIG THING with the battle system OR They’re just not trying to do anything new at all.

Take a look at my examples:

Final Fantasy XII. Admittedly, I’ve had fun playing this game. But, the game’s storyline doesn’t keep me interested for more than a couple hours at a time. You wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve tried to play through this game just to end up sitting it down and not touching it for another 4 months or so. Have I beaten it? Yes. But, it took me about 2 years to finish one playthrough.

Blue Dragon. Now, here’s a prime example of a game that does nothing new. A game that tries to go about doing what we all saw 15 years ago, all whilst changing nothing but the graphic quality. The game was uninspired, the characters were uninteresting, and it spawned a shitty anime adaptation.

The Last Remnant. This game had one major thing going for it. The great soundtrack (written by Tsuyoshi Sekito, one of my personal favorite composers). This game tried too hard to be a stand alone and pull itself away from the norm. So much, infact that it made an incredibly difficult to understand battle system. I don’t know much about the story, so I can’t judge it there, but let me just say that from what I played, I wasn’t very impressed.

I just really want to see some sort of happy medium between new and old come out of Japan in the near future.

/rant

The Last Crapnant.

I wonder how Versus XIII is going to do… From the wikipedia, it seems very boring.

[quote=“The Phantomnaut”]The Last Crapnant.

I wonder how Versus XIII is going to do… From the wikipedia, it seems very boring.[/quote]

Versus XIII will be terrible. Mark my words.

When I saw the words Dirge of Cerberus, I felt disappointed. I can’t play newer JRPGs or any Asian RPG anymore as I feel that the art style is too distracting (especially Tetsuya Nomura’s work, except for VIII) for players to find flaws in the games. Versus XIII might be a big culprit.

My asian friends in college asks me to try out Maple Story and La Tale but after seeing two minutes of gameplay from each I identified how horrible it was and I was struggling of how overdone the artwork is made to actually pay attention to the gameplay itself.

[quote=“The Phantomnaut”]When I saw the words Dirge of Cerberus, I felt disappointed. I can’t play newer JRPGs or any Asian RPG anymore as I feel that the art style is too distracting (especially Tetsuya Nomura’s work, except for VIII) for players to find flaws in the games. Versus XIII might be a big culprit.

My asian friends in college asks me to try out Maple Story and La Tale but after seeing two minutes of gameplay from each I identified how horrible it was and I was struggling of how overdone the artwork is made to actually pay attention to the gameplay itself.[/quote]

That’s not really what I’m talking about…

For the the most part, I enjoy artwork like that. It adds to the experience. Realistic art generally bores me.

I totally understand you.

Want to know a HORRIBLE JRPG Battle System? Play “Magna Carta: Tears of Blood”. The main part of the battle system is a mix of “Simon says” and “Press the button at the right time”. Combine that with the original parts of a standard JRPG.

It’s so retarded, I swear. However, for some reason, it’s addictive. Horrible, but addictive. It’s like it wants you to attempt to be good at it.

Are you mad??? :Q

I just thought the same thing.

YOU DAMN KIDS! AND YOUR STUPID TALKING DOG!!!

[quote=“blacknumbers”]I totally understand you.

Want to know a HORRIBLE JRPG Battle System? Play “Magna Carta: Tears of Blood”. The main part of the battle system is a mix of “Simon says” and “Press the button at the right time”. Combine that with the original parts of a standard JRPG.

It’s so retarded, I swear. However, for some reason, it’s addictive. Horrible, but addictive. It’s like it wants you to attempt to be good at it.[/quote]

What more can follow this up other than actual game play footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoYNIx3Xhyc

And thank goodness they are taking it out of the sequel.

Hrm…

I know just the cure :Q

Real insightful, Trex.

Hes right.

Thank you. But don’t get me wrong… I’m sick of Western developers bullshit, too. If I see one more new IP about shooting aliens, I’ll kill someone.

lol better load the clip.

[quote=“nothere413”]That’s not really what I’m talking about…

For the the most part, I enjoy artwork like that. It adds to the experience. Realistic art generally bores me.[/quote]

Yes I do understand but it’s still a core part of the modern JRPG which only some games with the very stylish anime art style succeed in not being distracting. Big eyes are not convincing me anymore.

XIII’s combat system tries to be different while it’s not although the demo is supposed to be an early build.