Fallout 3 Dev Making Mature Wii Game

Undaunted by uneven sales of mature-rated Wii games, Bethesda is storming into the breach with an unannounced mature game for Nintendo’s blockbuster console. In http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bethesda-next-to-target-mature-wii-marketa new interview with Games Industry, Bethesda’s European managing director Sean Brennan made no bones about his firm’s plans. “We are going to make an announcement on a really big Wii game this year, we’ve got a couple of other things in the pipeline,” said Brennan in the interview.

Bethesda appears to only be interested in the mature corner of the market. Brennan expressed no interest in casual titles or the minigame collections that currently fill shelves in the Wii sections at retail. He admits that mature-rated games may only be directed at five-percent of the Wii base, but Brennan sees that as an opportunity instead of a hindrance. “If it’s five-percent of the market and you can own that space it’s worth doing because you can achieve volume,” said Brennan.

Up to this point, Bethesda has been primarily focused on delivering high-quality hardcore games to audiences on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Bethesda’s recent Fallout 3 was a monster hit. But the game maker’s decision to now target the Wii shows that Bethesda is not going to cede any corner of the market to its rivals. If it can foster the kind of heat, hype, and loyalty in the Wii space as it has with 360 gamers, Bethesda could have another hit on its hands with an entirely new audience. Wii gamers that lament the lack of hardcore, harder-edged games on Nintendo’s white box should only welcome this development

Actual source

I’m hoping for an Elder Scrolls game for the Wii (not ES V, but a new games with a specialized engine set in the same world)

I think if they were to go in that direction they would have alot to work with and work out when it came to the controls. With the WiiMotion Plus they could effectively give us 1:1 sword, mace, and axe swinging while still using IR for the aiming of arrows and spells. If they use the speaker in the Wiimote then you could hear the charging up of the spell and the release as it travels through the air and hits your opponet. They might even be able to have the sound of your armor clanking around as you walk, right out of your controller. There is lots of fun to be had with the Wii if worked with correctly. The only obvious set back is that it wont be NEARLY as stunning as there 360/PS3 counterparts.

Im just excited that more and more publishers are starting to see there is a market out there on the Wii which has gone relativly untapped. Wii so far has 50 million unit install base and if only 5% of them plays hardcore titles with there Wii then that is still 2.5 million people willing (if they all buy) to shell out dough for that game.

Alot of work yes, but I know I’d be right there to buy a 1:! swords and sorcery 1st person game. Yes, the graphics wouldn’t be as stellar as the PS3 and 360 version, but common, you have to give the Wii some credit, it wouldn’t look like total crap, esp if it was an engine designed or tailored for the Wii.

Im a fan of Wii I take into consideration all these different aspects of games that are made for it where as not many others do. If they took High Voltages Quantum 3 engine for the Wii and used that, that would be awesome!! All I know is that there is alot of potential for a good game here and it excites me.

How do you even know if the Quantum 3 engine is good or not, yet?

You’re a terrible fanboy.

[quote=“nothere413”]How do you even know if the Quantum 3 engine is good or not, yet?

You’re a terrible fanboy.[/quote]

I ment for graphical stability, and I know its good cause I mean hell look at The Conduit that game looks amazing for the Wii. And as for a fanboy yeah I like Nintendo the most but I do like alot of 360 games and I play the PC alot as well…I just wanna see someone make the Wii bad ass…it has the potential.

That’s the Wii’s chronic problem, lots of POTENTIAL, almost completly unrealized. I’m hoping some upcomming game the The Conduit, Red Steel 2, and Silent Hill change that.

Me too. ^,^

Especially RS2 and SH. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Andrex”]Me too. ^,^

Especially RS2 and SH. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ahh Andrex i thought you might take a look at this thread lol. So what do you think? Could this game be good? It is bethesda, and in the interview they said its gonna be a big game, and not this shovel ware stuff… he even poked fun at developers who are doing that.

I don’t take these general noncommittal statements with any weight. When they show a trailer, then I’ll either start hyping it or bashing it.

I got burned by Dead Space Extraction by not waiting for any real info, which was unusual for me. Never again.

[quote=“Andrex”]I don’t take these general noncommittal statements with any weight. When they show a trailer, then I’ll either start hyping it or bashing it.

I got burned by Dead Space Extraction by not waiting for any real info, which was unusual for me. Never again.[/quote]

But that game looks awesome imo.

I wanted a third-person shooter/horror game. Not a spinoff.

I may still get it but I was seriously disappointed when it was announced.

Silent Hill sounds to be everything DSE should have been. :smiley:

[quote=“Andrex”]I wanted a third-person shooter/horror game. Not a spinoff.

I may still get it but I was seriously disappointed when it was announced.

Silent Hill sounds to be everything DSE should have been. :smiley:[/quote]

Yeah I think the on rails thing is kinda dumb but after hearing everything they are going to do with it and how everything is in real time not pre rendered I think it will be a killer game. Maybe not the game you were hoping it would be but a good game non the less.

Lol, Eurocom is making it. Eurocom is probably the worst developer I’ve ever heard of.

Some of these dev’s really need to realize that Wii owners don’t want lame ports and spinoffs. If Wii motion plus is as cool as I’m understanding from what IGN and others are saying developers had better start using it in thier new games. At least Ubisoft and EA are on the ball sort of. I really want Nintendo in particular to start using it like crazy.

I’d really like to see them make an Original RPG.