Ever buy a game in a series, just because you expect yourself to?

Like, MegaMan was always my favorite game series growing up, and I looked forward to each of the games released. Eventually this spilled over into the MegaMan X series, and the same carried on. Eventually, when the games got to the 32-Bit era with MM8, MMX4, MMX5, MMX6, they started to rapidly become a weaker incarnation of their former selves. But because I was a big MegaMan fan, I felt compelled to buy them anyway. And I did, until MegaMan X6, which, to this day, I’ve played a total of 30 minutes of and never touched again. I own MegaMan X8. I don’t think I’ve ever even opened it.

Same with the Contra series. I love me some Contra games, but, you know, Neo Contra wasn’t all THAT great, and Alien Wars on the GBA is a horribly botched version of the SNES game, and Shattered Soldier sometimes makes me want to kill small woodland creatures. But I own them all anyway. And, hell, if I could find Contra Force, C: The Contra Adventure and Legacy of War, I’ve probably get them too, even though they literally killed the franchise at one point.

And, dammit, SOMEONE out there must still be buying the Sonic games, even though they’ve gone from great to good, to okay, to fair, to poor, to crap, to horrible, to depressing, to abysmal.

I bought a Sonic game a few months ago…Sonic Adventures :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a only a few games I’ll do this with, I buy Zelda games without question. But I know others who’s devotion to a franchise gives me pause at times (I honestly belive it a game came out called Mario’s Port-a-potty Adventures Andrex would still be first in line to buy it).

My problem is in passing up games at bargin prices, and not just good one, anything that shows a glimmer of hope and is a good price I have a tendancy to buy.

I have HUNDREDS of games, and many I’ve never played. And a lot of them I bought for under $10. Why? Cause they looked like they might be even the slightest fun… and were under $10. So, I know where you’re coming from.

I got the Transformers Animated DS game (not the new movie tie-in ones), because I’m a big Transformers guy. Or, I WAS, back before they went to Cartoon Network and instantly turned to crap (Present series excluded). The game, while I can get a little fun out of it, is rather simple and very anti-transformers. It’s a puzzle game platformer for the most part, like the Lost Vikings or Toki Tori.

I feel like I should purge it from my collection and pawn it somewhere… but, yet, being a Transformers fan, I feel I should keep it. I still have both of the Transmetals TF games (PSX and N64) and both of them suck. But this one’s half decent.

As far as Mario’s Port-a-Potty Adventures… you’d think Nintendo would have ALREADY released one. He IS a plumber!

Pokemon. But for the reason that each generation has some great improvement, copy that with my childhood fasination of the franchise and that pretty much means I’ll buy the next version of games without a second thought. I know perfectly well I’m not alone in that thought.

That’s as close as I get for buying games for its series, because I ignore any of the crappy Pokemon off-shoot games (I do like the Coliseum games).

Oh yeah, there’s Mario Party too. But my sister forces me to get them. -_- Not anymore thank god.

Nope. Never bought a game that I didn’t think I would enjoy, regardless of price.

Animal Crossing.

FUCK YOU NINTENDO. Waste of my money.

No but if Valve comes out with a game tomorrow with no title or not even a boxart or info for that matter I would likely to buy it.

I did with Sonic Unleashed and ended up enjoying it.

If my intuition tells me to buy a game, I’ll do it even if it gets low reviews. Hasn’t betrayed me yet. :slight_smile:

Mega Man X6 is one of my favorite X games, but then again, I still have yet to play a Mega Man game that I didn’t enjoy, unlike SOME franchises (Glares at Sonic Adventure 2)

[quote=“JPjuice23”]Animal Crossing.

FUCK YOU NINTENDO. Waste of my money.[/quote]

:mad;

I hope by that you mean the things taken away from later intallments. The series as a whole is awsome. Though they did make some improvements in later titles, they also took away some thing people really liked about early ones (most notably the NES games and holidays, though they fixed holidays for the Wii game)

Question: Why do people keep asking Nintendo to put NES games in Animal Crossing?

That was clearly a one-time thing; if you want NES games you can buy them from Virtual Console, so it’s not a problem. =\

I hope by that you mean the things taken away from later intallments. The series as a whole is awsome. Though they did make some improvements in later titles, they also took away some thing people really liked about early ones (most notably the NES games and holidays, though they fixed holidays for the Wii game)[/quote]

Somewhat. I liked the first game, and I felt the sequels did not much to improve the series, and the 3rd installment was the worst. I felt like I did everything all over again, so I quit it. I bought the Wii talk and everything :frown;

[quote=“Little_Goten”]Question: Why do people keep asking Nintendo to put NES games in Animal Crossing?

That was clearly a one-time thing; if you want NES games you can buy them from Virtual Console, so it’s not a problem. =[/quote]
NES games were rare, and fun to find. It was exciting to find a nes game, and take it to your house. No other item could emulate that…

Well… I have a hard time not going out and buying every Tales game I can. But, I haven’t been dissapointed even once so far.

Scratch my last post I did buy 24 The Game. I rented it first and enjoyed it. Even though the problems was to vast to count. While I did enjoyed the 24 game. I was dissapointed by Lost: Via Domus. I rented that, played it twice and forgot about it. The best part is when you are down the Hatch in the Swan Station.

[quote=“JPjuice23”]Somewhat. I liked the first game, and I felt the sequels did not much to improve the series, and the 3rd installment was the worst. I felt like I did everything all over again, so I quit it. I bought the Wii talk and everything :frown;

NES games were rare, and fun to find. It was exciting to find a nes game, and take it to your house. No other item could emulate that…[/quote]

For the newer games they could even make it so you find only games you’ve bought on the VC in the game, it still would add to it. It was just cool to have that in your character’s livingroom.

I do this all the time with the Ratchet and Clank series of games and Kingdom Hearts series. When one of those games comes out, I buy it IMMEDIATELY on the spot, good or not.

But all of those games have been good so far, so I am not worried.

Animal Crossing

Guitar Hero

Mario Kart

…I bought Phantom Hourglass even though I had really no hype for it, and haven’t even beaten the first dungeon yet. :confused:

…seriously?

Yeah. I never understood why people hate it so much. Game is awesome, and the Shadow Armor kicks ass.

Megaman is a horrible franchise.

Edit: Well, I guess I can say the same of any sidescrolling shooter. Hate every last one of them.

The FF and RE series have been the two that I always bought without hesitation.