Election 2016 Thread

Wherein we discuss the 2016 primaries and upcoming general.

Today is Super Tuesday. 12 states are voting on both the Republican and Democratic side. Those states are: Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont and Virginia. American Samoa Democrats will caucus today, as will Alaska on the Republican side.

My Predictions

Democrats

Clinton pulls a near blow-out, with Bernie winning just two states - Vermont and Massachusetts. In wake, party hacks will tell him to drop out because he’s making Clinton look bad.

Republicans

1. Cruz wins Texas by a comfortable margin of 8-10 points.

2. Kasich picks up a second place finish in Massachusetts.

3. Dukegate proves not enough to stop him from winning the day and Trump takes all other states.

On my end of things

1. I go to the liquor store and buy alcohol that I can’t afford.

2. I proceed to drink all of it by Tuesday night.

Ohio votes March 15th Drumpf is in town today :I

It’s too late for me for Super Tuesday. Clinton will likely get the Dems, while Trump will get the Reps. If it was a perfect world Trump would have been laughed at and not taken seriously long ago, but now here he is.

The scariest part is that if Trump does get the lead and be in the front running, there are republicans out there that will vote for Trump JUST because he’s a republican and don’t want another democrat in the white house.

If, by some miracle, Sanders is in the front running with Trump, it’ll be the clash of the century. Old vs New ideas.

This is the first time EVER I payed even some attention to the elections. That is how frightening Trump is right now.

bloombergview.com/articles/2 … nevertrump It’s a long read, but an intresting one.

tl;dr Many die hard republicans are either not going to vote at all or vote for a democrat for the first time, with some leaving the party for good. Most of the time it’s them explaining why.

My Aunt is Republican and says if Trump becomes the Republican candidate she will be voting Democrat.

I’m going to be honest. Despite my prediction, I tend to think he won’t win Massachusetts. The media has seriously blunted his momentum, and he’s refusing to do some things that he should.

If I was a Conservative I’d vote Democrat as well. It’s too important to just avoid voting altogether. You may not like Dems or even Hilary but fuck I don’t think she’ll burn everything to the ground.

I’m still voting for Bernie until he’s pushed out by the elite.

[quote=“SolomonGrundy”]If I was a Conservative I’d vote Democrat as well. It’s too important to just avoid voting altogether. You may not like Dems or even Hilary but fuck I don’t think she’ll burn everything to the ground.

I’m still voting for Bernie until he’s pushed out by the elite.[/quote]

Totally agree.

Agreed.

I tend to avoid more sensationalist attacks on Trump. Having said that, he is making a sales pitch, just like any politician. He is no more trustworthy than Hillary. Although I think he would for the most part govern centrist, I don’t really know for sure what he will do, whereas Hillary is a known quantity. I wouldn’t take a chance on Trump just because he would shake things up. Sometimes the outsider is worse than the insider.

I voted on my lunch break. I went with Hillary of course because I’m apart of the establishment :cool;

Seriously though I support Hillary because I think she’s got the most sane and achievable plan for America’s success. Sanders is too much of a radical, I’m sure that appeals to the younger crowd but I would rather have stability with moderate progress. Also if there was a huge terroist attack within the next few years I would feel much more comforable with Hillary in office.

Edit: In Alabama you can only pick one party and since Rand Paul is out I didn’t even consider voting Republican.

In an ideal world, we’d be blowing up both major parties because they’re both corrupt to the core and have long since stopped serving the interests of the American people. Democrats are only out for Democrats and Republicans are beholden to their big business masters. With that in mind, the only candidates I would consider voting for are Sanders (preferably) or Trump simply because they’re so far out of line with the establishment of their respective parties and would have a good chance of causing chaos in Washington.

Politics is always an exercise in frustration for me though because I come from the left on some issues and from the right on others, and both of our parties are broadly center-right and tend to do nothing but preserve the shitty status quo.

Maybe it’s just the level of reporting these days, but this seems like an ideal election cycle to begin a push away from this rigid two-party nonsense. If somehow one of the other Republican nominees usurps Trump as leader, then it wouldn’t be unlikely for him to simply continue running on his own as part of the Trump party or whatever. Similarly, Sanders may have enough support to spur him to continue his campaign if (when?) he doesn’t get the nod. Both have very passionate supporters voting for them, rather than for whomever has the ® or (D) by their name. Neither one of them has to win the election, necessarily, but just show that a third-party candidate can get some nontrivial percentage of the vote and do more than just siphon a few votes away from one of the bigger parties. The repercussions are certainly more relevant as we move on to 2020, but dealing with this beast is a long process.

Of course, this is all a pipe dream as long as more than half the population continues to ignore the world around them.

Didn’t Germany have a bunch of parties though? Is more the solution or does it allow someone like Trump to gobble up the hearts and minds of people more easily. Not having a threat of a major party walking away from him and hurting his chances.

I think smarter more educated voters would be more useful I think. That and a way of sharing wealth without killing motivation to be successful. It takes money to make money after all and if more people have less, they’re less likely to do anything near moving up in the world or making it a better place.

That’s what nobody seems to get. Sanders can SAY the best things there is but basically zilch are realistic. See the agony passing the Affordable Care Act? No way is Congress gonna reform healthcare so dramatically. Bernie says the right things but talk is cheap and there is plenty in stock (unless Trump buys it all…).

[quote=“NorthStarKen”]

That’s what nobody seems to get. Sanders can SAY the best things there is but basically zilch are realistic. See the agony passing the Affordable Care Act? No way is Congress gonna reform healthcare so dramatically. Bernie says the right things but talk is cheap and there is plenty in stock (unless Trump buys it all…).[/quote]

People have to vote in more than just the Presidential election. That’s the source of some of Obama’s problems. The other positive things he wanted to do didn’t happen because he had to fight the Stonewall Jackson’s of Congress. Bernie AND Hillary would be exactly the same in the current state.

[quote=“SolomonGrundy”]

People have to vote in more than just the Presidential election. That’s the source of some of Obama’s problems. The other positive things he wanted to do didn’t happen because he had to fight the Stonewall Jackson’s of Congress. Bernie AND Hillary would be exactly the same in the current state.[/quote]

That’s exactly right, then they act like he is being a tyrant doing all the executive orders he has been doing.

At least you don’t hear about the teabaggers any ore like you used to, are they losing relevancy?

Trumps winning most states as is Hillary.

[quote=“NorthStarKen”]

That’s exactly right, then they act like he is being a tyrant doing all the executive orders he has been doing.

At least you don’t hear about the teabaggers any ore like you used to, are they losing relevancy?[/quote]

I’m not sure I know Trump is courting them. So they’ll vote Cruz or Drumpf I’m sure.

Looks like you’ll have to vote between a douche and a turd sandwich.

Chris Christie’s secret plan is to kill Trump when he least expects it. You can tell by the look in his eyes that he is imagining all the ways to do it during Trump’s speech. Chris Christie can save America people.