Does anyone actually still use their PC's DVD drive??

I was thinking about this today well actually it first popped up when Apple announced the Macbook AIR…

What is the average daily/weekly/monthly use of a DVD drive in this day and age???

I mean for me my Optical Disk drive is really more of a tire jack. I only need it on the rare occasion my PC breaks down.

Other than that I NEVER use the damn thing, so much so I even unplugged it to not waste power consumption.

If I need a driver 9 times out of 10 the one on the CD packaged with the product is out of date so I’d rather just go to the site and download the latest one.

In terms of backing up it seems like more people use large external hard drives instead of 10 DVD-RWs.

With PC games it is started to seem pointless as well in the age of Steam offering you to pre-load the game before launch and then it unlocking on midnight

And again if you needed a backup wouldn’t you just use an external hard drive instead??

I guess the last use would be for movies but I think most people view movies on their TVs not their PCs and if you are doing it on PC a service like Amazon Unbox or iTunes seems more convenient.

Anyways just curious…

I don’t use it usually, I don’t play games on PC much, the last one I did was Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 last October…

In about a week I’ll be using it to watch my Buffy season 5 DVDs I just ordered. ^,^ I have 6 and 7 all wrapped up, waiting to be watched already, so for the next two weeks I should finish watching the entire series, which I started last October…

Funny story, absolutely NO retail store I’ve been to has had season 5. Not WalMart, not even this big mega-nerd comic store had it. Hell this made me curious so I even went online and even the big torrent sites don’t have it, nor does Hulu (they stop at season 3). I was like, what the hell?? This is my favorite season and no one has it! So I got fed up and ordered it online at WalsMart.com. I bought 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 at Wal*Mart months ago, because all slimline Buffy box sets there are $15 (seriously what an epic deal).

Maybe I’m not the only one who likes 5 the best and that’s why they were all sold out? Dunno, but it was damning not being able to watch 6 and 7 this whole time.

I’m gonna assume Season 5 went to DVD before they did all music license checks and half-way through the print run they discovered they didn’t have the license to something and stopped printing it and were too lazy to go back and replace it.

Although now I’m reminded that I need to go get some seasons of Dawson’s Creek…

[quote=“sbf717”]I was thinking about this today well actually it first popped up when Apple announced the Macbook AIR…

What is the average daily/weekly/monthly use of a DVD drive in this day and age???

I mean for me my Optical Disk drive is really more of a tire jack. I only need it on the rare occasion my PC breaks down.

Other than that I NEVER use the damn thing, so much so I even unplugged it to not waste power consumption.

If I need a driver 9 times out of 10 the one on the CD packaged with the product is out of date so I’d rather just go to the site and download the latest one.

In terms of backing up it seems like more people use large external hard drives instead of 10 DVD-RWs.

With PC games it is started to seem pointless as well in the age of Steam offering you to pre-load the game before launch and then it unlocking on midnight

And again if you needed a backup wouldn’t you just use an external hard drive instead??

I guess the last use would be for movies but I think most people view movies on their TVs not their PCs and if you are doing it on PC a service like Amazon Unbox or iTunes seems more convenient.

Anyways just curious…[/quote]

Yeah you don’t really need a drive I kind of still like it although a external harddrive can pretty much take care of everything. Anyways Shouldn’t you be championing disks considering you were so into Blu-ray?

About once a month, I make a digital copy of a movie to keep on my Hard Drive.

I’m thinking about getting an external and moving them all to that, though. Just so I always have my movies and music with me whenever I’m at a friend’s house. It would make sharing alot easier.

I don’t see the rule book that says I do.

I championed UMDs too in 2004 b/c flash media was still expensive and broadband had not become dense enough to support a digital distribution strategy for handhelds. And now UMDs have no purpose in 2009 b/c those things have been solved.

Down the line Blu-Ray will probably have no purpose as well when hard drive sizes increase and broadband internet speeds reach a level that 50GB of data is not a very long download. Until then it serves it’s purpose.

I use it fairly often. At least 50 times a month.

The Mac Air… what a waste that thing is.

Anyway… I use mine all the time.

Whether I’m backing up crap on DVDs or ripping CDs and DVDs to my computer and iPod, watching something on my computer, or burning TV shows and movies from my TV Tuner.

I often will go a few weeks, maybe months without using it. But when I DO get around to using it, I use a lot of DVDs with it at once.

[quote=“sbf717”]I don’t see the rule book that says I do.

I championed UMDs too in 2004 b/c flash media was still expensive and broadband had not become dense enough to support a digital distribution strategy for handhelds. And now UMDs have no purpose in 2009 b/c those things have been solved.

Down the line Blu-Ray will probably have no purpose as well when hard drive sizes increase and broadband internet speeds reach a level that 50GB of data is not a very long download. Until then it serves it’s purpose.[/quote]

I’m not saying you have to but it seems really weird you were so behind it and now your not.

I watch movies on it about once every other week.

My DVD drive is used for my files that I keep on-disc. I need my disc drive, both for movies, file backup, games, and other stuff that I use on a daily basis.

I’ve got a 1TB external hard drive that I keep all of my media on, and an 8GB thumb drive for convenience and portability.

It’s been a long ass while since I used a blank CD or DVD for anything.