Daredevil, A Good Samaritan's Guide

I think it’s safe to say at this point the aftertaste of bitter resentment for the Affleck Daredevil film is now passed. A new era is here and it’s quite glorious. I’m making this thread because I have high hopes for the future. This can be the thread hopefully for people to discover the show if they’ve been putting it off or haven’t heard of it, also for people who are already converts can have mass together.

Recently the blind community put a little pressure on Netflix for not including a companion audio track so they could more easily enjoy the show. Netflix stepped up and responded quite quickly which I think is pretty cool on their part.

As far as casting goes though, I think it was completely masterful.

Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock

Another Brit that you wouldn’t know from their American on screen accent. He’s been on Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey so some might recognize him. He’ll also be playing the Daredevil in “The Defenders” I think he brings the sombre resolve to the character that hasn’t been done well often. The old “brooding” like Batman schtick is easy to overdo and DC has had its problems with committing to it. In this though Marvel seems to be striking the right cord with enough stoic macho hardheaded bravado mixing with compassion, self doubt, fear and love. Making a more dynamic, believable hero that does amazing things, but can severely screw shit up.

Deborah Ann Woll as Karen Paige

You probably know her from True Blood, she was also Greta on My Name is Earl. She’s portrayed really well. I really liked how they allude to her sordid past after giving you a really sorta squeaky clean image and the sympathetic victim story. While true, isn’t the complete picture at all. It would be nice to see a female lead with a dark side that isn’t turned into a standard “bitch face”.

Elden Hensen as Foggy Nelson

Anyone coming from Mighty Ducks fame deserves a chance to try again. I’m glad they gave him a shot as he proves to be both infuriating and likeable. He works well given the role of the naysayer who doesn’t know what we know for much of the first season. He’s intolerable reaction towards the masked man are proof of the depths of annoyance he can steep too. This is countered though by his warming and eventual enlightenment. I think it’s hard to play a character that is both essential and at times frustrating while not inspiring the desire for that character to disappear.

Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple, Night Nurse

Rosario is a solid talent. She’s been in a ton of stuff from Sin City to Death Proof to Men in Black, Alexander and The Adventures of Pluto Nash. She’ll also be seen in Clerks 3! I love that they cast even characters that don’t get much attention with talent. I hope her being in the mix also leads to much more for the character. I hope they really give her a big role and eventual reveal as a fully fledged Night Nurse. It seems to be what they’re building towards while knowing well enough to leave it alone and let it simmer. You have to focus on getting Kingpin out there and a threat for another hero coming around to even be relevant. I just can’t wait, I think it means a lot for female heroes and a darker take on one at that. I think Marvel might once again do the “brooding” hero properly. Not stripping the humanity or occasional humor / fuck up away.

I’m a little saddened by her being in the show though. I harbor a secret casting fantasy of her as Storm for a Marvel lead X-Men franchise. This will likely never happen. Here’s an interview with her though that shows she might be a comic fan from before which is always a plus imo.

Vincent D’Onofrio as The Kingpin

In my opinion, the shining gem of the series so far. Suffering from what my brother might call Bruce Willis syndrome. It seems like he’s usually playing a Cop or Detective in many of his roles. Certainly some of his biggest were. This however in my opinion eclipses them all, yes even Full Metal Jacket. What he’s done as the Kingpin is amazing to me. At first I recognized him, just enough as he typically has hair and/or facial hair. However as the show goes on I recognize him less and less until only Fisk remains. Especially when he’s grabbing and choking people to death. It really seems in that moment of gurning to be an almost literal translation of the Kingpin from the comics and cartoons. I was literally giddy when Vanessa was choosing out a new color of suit for him.

It was absolutely wonderful watching him transform from that battered boy to the man he was possibly destined to be. It’s also refreshing to see a heavier character not completely slimmed down (Kingpin’s actual size typically not being humanly possible but I digress). They could have pulled a Amanda Waller and redid the character to be more atypical. The problem is you don’t get the contrast between the hero and villain and that can ruin the foil.

I also stumbled upon this which is kind of awesome. It’s from a while back but it’s still great.

They were apparently at the Toronto International Film Festival and RDJ tweeted it.

Great idea Grundy!

I am still only a few episodes in but I can agree the show is great and definitely surpassed my personal expectations.

The show is amazing. Vincent D’Onofrio is amazing. While I believe Johnathan Banks should win for best-supporting actor for Better Call Saul, D’Onofrio should be nominated. The fights are amazing, it gets close to The Raid territory at times.

A.K.A Jessica Jones has a lot to live up to.

I wonder how long I must wait for the Blu-Ray.

A bit of a round table interview with Foggy and Karen

[youtube]2Jz1F2aPksk[/youtube]

On episode 5 now. This show is easily among Netflix’s best.

Fisk is amazing. Love all the little speech things D’Onofrio adds when talking, really makes him stand out.

Wish Netflix didn’t spoil the red suit in the series thumbnail. Also, I still like the black suit a lot better.

[quote=“Andrex”]On episode 5 now. This show is easily among Netflix’s best.

Fisk is amazing. Love all the little speech things D’Onofrio adds when talking, really makes him stand out.

Wish Netflix didn’t spoil the red suit in the series thumbnail. Also, I still like the black suit a lot better.[/quote]

Yeah he really makes Kingpin odd but likeable but also off putting. You can like his inflection at times but his mannerisms are unsettling or vice versa. I really loved the breakfast scene idk if you’ve gotten to it yet but he’s got company and it’s very interesting to me. I do also like how Charlie will nod and do other mannerisms when listening as Murdock. Either to the TV or to someone and he’s reserved but perhaps disagrees with what they’re saying he’ll nod as if acknowledging his own thoughts.

As far as the suit I’ll say this, the spoiler pics don’t seem as good looking to me as when you see it in action in the show. It is a decent sized spoiler it would have been a nice reveal keeping it secret. Maybe they did that incase diehard fans were worried they were going to keep the black makeshift one going.

I like it myself but I honestly would prefer if those doing superhero shows and movies would move away from the all black motif. It gets old really quick for me. It would be nice if they brought it back at some point though, keep both of them going perhaps.

It’s a struggle to ration this show to one episode a day. So good.

Spring cleaning be like

[quote=“SolomonGrundy”]

As far as the suit I’ll say this, the spoiler pics don’t seem as good looking to me as when you see it in action in the show. It is a decent sized spoiler it would have been a nice reveal keeping it secret. Maybe they did that incase diehard fans were worried they were going to keep the black makeshift one going.

I like it myself but I honestly would prefer if those doing superhero shows and movies would move away from the all black motif. It gets old really quick for me.[/quote]

I was worried. He is Daredevil, the suit is fucking RED. And his nickname is Hornhead. Bandana doesn’t have horns. I think a mask is more liable to stay on easier than a bandana (which some of us has seen).

This mask covers his nose, the comic one does not. (dude kn the show has a beak lol)

Anyway as I have stated countless times (some actually listened to me and really enjoyed it), Imhighly recomend Mark Waid’s run and here is a cool article about it brought upon this Netflix thing.

howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/ … il-comics/

I have never watched Netflix. I might watch this.

Finished Daredevil. The red costume is so fucking doofy. :-/ I like the black costume way more.

I think it’s acceptable. Especially compared to some of the Arrow costumes.

Apparently the sniper that shot that cop was Bullseye. :Q

[youtube]gY0UdD-d3VU[/youtube]

The best thing about it is that it can be approved upon. I’m just happy we saw it in action.

I agree, it was kind of turrible, especially the horns.

The horns were OK, the body was OK, but the face was all wrong. Looked more like Batman than comics Daredevil.

But like Stealth said, hopefully it’ll be improved for his next appearance.

slashfilm.com/daredevil-season-2/

Welp, Daredevil is sunk. Back to SHIELD…

You must really think it’s going to suck if you’re recommending SHIELD as an alternative.