Best Game of 1988

Cast your vote, since the polls don’t close, this thread will be taking votes until Friday, July 3rd.

Nominees

Final Fantasy II (1 Vote)

Gradius II ( 1 Vote)

Ghouls N Ghosts

John Madden Football 88

Mega Man 2 (7 Votes) WINNER

Super Mario Bros 2 (1 Vote)

Ninja Gaiden (1 Vote)

Vote Away

Last Voters: Axel

Final Fantasy II, obviously.

im 12 what are those

Lol.

Didnt; try any of these or their remakes? I was wondering if I should start from 1988 but I think it was a good decision

I vote Mega Man 2 myself

Mega Man 2.

Super Mario Bros. 2.

Megaman 2, while good, is just a basic extension of Megaman 1. SMB2 is a big leap over the first, in terms of graphics, sound, gameplay, story, and playable characters. The only part that isn’t a giant leap over SMB1 is level design, and I feel the levels are different, not necessarily worse.

[quote=“Andrex”]Super Mario Bros. 2.

Megaman 2, while good, is just a basic extension of Megaman 1. SMB2 is a big leap over the first, in terms of graphics, sound, gameplay, story, and playable characters. The only part that isn’t a giant leap over SMB1 is level design, and I feel the levels are different, not necessarily worse.[/quote]

Although, Super Mario Bros. 2 is really a completely different game, not only does it look like one, it actually is one, just with Mario sprites. But I guess that doesn’t really matter in the end…

I vote Megaman 2. Although Heat Man’s stage was complete bullshit.

Ninja Gaiden.

The first three Ninja Gaiden’s felt fantastic in the fact that the story continues from each and is like a action movie trilogy.

The storyline is actually rather reminiscent of metal gear.

[quote=“JPjuice23”]Although, Super Mario Bros. 2 is really a completely different game, not only does it look like one, it actually is one, just with Mario sprites. But I guess that doesn’t really matter in the end…

I vote Megaman 2. Although Heat Man’s stage was complete bullshit.[/quote]

Item #2 bro

I say MM2 also.

[quote=“Sakito”]Item #2 bro

I say MM2 also.[/quote]
I got through it without Item #2.

[quote=“nightshade_II”]Ninja Gaiden.

The first three Ninja Gaiden’s felt fantastic in the fact that the story continues from each and is like a action movie trilogy.

The storyline is actually rather reminiscent of metal gear.[/quote]

/thread

Megaman 2

While SMB 2 is my fav Mario game in comparison to MM 2 it seems archaic. MM2 pushed the platforming genre forward with a great mix of shooting and platforming and great bosses set to one of the best soundtracks of the entire 8-bit era.

NONE OF YOU PEOPLE HAVE PLAYED FINAL FANTASY II HAVE YOU?! IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD.

[quote=“sbf717”]Megaman 2

While SMB 2 is my fav Mario game in comparison to MM 2 it seems archaic. MM2 pushed the platforming genre forward with a great mix of shooting and platforming and great bosses set to one of the best soundtracks of the entire 8-bit era.[/quote]
If anything MM2 is archaic. No sliding, no wall-jumping, lots of cheap deaths, as a whole not too much better than MM1.

If anything I’d say SMB2 is less archaic than even SMB3 in areas.

The Reason MM2 doesn’t deserve the title is because it didn’t improve upon or change much from MM1.

Final Fantasy 2 took a huge risk in eliminating the experience system. (it uses one similar to Chrono Cross)

And Super Mario Bros. 2 was pretty good, too. But to say it took a chance and changed things would be a lie, since it wasn’t originally going to be a Mario game.

Gradius II.

No retro game in that poll stood up to it.

It is REALLY fun.

No question, Mega Man 2

[quote=“nothere413”]The Reason MM2 doesn’t deserve the title is because it didn’t improve upon or change much from MM1.
[/quote]
I’ll let that slide, you’re obviously too young to appritiate the changes MM2 made, and the difficult curve improvements made a huge difference. It’s the quintessential MM game.

[quote=“Andrex”]
Megaman 2, while good, is just a basic extension of Megaman 1. SMB2 is a big leap over the first, in terms of graphics, sound, gameplay, story, and playable characters. The only part that isn’t a giant leap over SMB1 is level design, and I feel the levels are different, not necessarily worse.[/quote]

Ditto

basically
oh and yeah i vote for megaman 2 as well

[quote=“Asrugan”]I’ll let that slide, you’re obviously too young to appritiate the changes MM2 made, and the difficult curve improvements made a huge difference. It’s the quintessential MM game.
[/quote]

<_<

[quote=“nothere413”]The Reason MM2 doesn’t deserve the title is because it didn’t improve upon or change much from MM1.

Final Fantasy 2 took a huge risk in eliminating the experience system. (it uses one similar to Chrono Cross)

And Super Mario Bros. 2 was pretty good, too. But to say it took a chance and changed things would be a lie, since it wasn’t originally going to be a Mario game.[/quote]

Agreed on Megaman. However, I think it was a risk for NoA in changing up the franchise that much.

[quote=“Axel”]basically
oh and yeah i vote for megaman 2 as well[/quote]

:confused:

I almost beat it. Am on Wily, got to his second form. Keep dying. Can you beat him without subtanks and all your weapons almost devoid of power?

I am proud to say I got that far without using save states or guides. Maybe a few hints here or there.

Also I bought Megaman 9 damnit, and got to the exact same place. Maybe I just suck at the final bosses for the series. I never could beat Sigma’s final form in X, either… course last time I played that was like five years ago…