After Watching the footage on Gametrailers TV

I’m pretty sure Heavy Rain is still an interactive movie. Also if all 4 of your characters die its still game over. I am impressed that they do have 4 characters though.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=60&ch=1&sd=0

If you asked me it looked ugly, and had questionable voice acting. Still will play it though it just looked underwhelming. Post a link to it.

Then what defines a “game” ???

You aren’t just playing out the QTE’s you walk around and explore. You observe things in the world and draw conclusions. The QTEs are what you use when interacting with someone else in the world.

And it looks like that is the best way to interact with the scenes they have established.

So please enlighten us on how that Car Jack scene is suppose to be turned into a “game”??

Am I suppose to have a set number of moves and when the guy attacks me it turns in a brawler like Final Fight??

Also I love how you say when all 4 die it’s game over when you just said it’s an interactive movie :lol :lol

If it’s not a game then how the fuck is it game over???

[quote=“sbf717”]Then what defines a “game” ???

You aren’t just playing out the QTE’s you walk around and explore. You observe things in the world and draw conclusions. The QTEs are what you use when interacting with someone else in the world.

And it looks like that is the best way to interact with the scenes they have established.

So please enlighten us on how that Car Jack scene is suppose to be turned into a “game”??

Am I suppose to have a set number of moves and when the guy attacks me it turns in a brawler like Final Fight??

Also I love how you say when all 4 die it’s game over when you just said it’s an interaction movie :lol :lol

If it’s not a game then how the fuck is it game over???[/quote]

I don’t know I see quite a few QTE’s and I personally don’t like having them that often it pretty much turns the game into a movie and you interact with it sometimes. And yes when your 4 characters “Die” you lose the story ends which means game over. Saying there is no game over is lying.

The interactions are way more contexted.

No they are saying it’s the conclusion of the story yet people want to dumb that statement down to it’s “game over”.

It’s simply a different way of saying something.

[quote=“sbf717”]The interactions are way more contexted.

No they are saying it’s the conclusion of the story yet people want to dumb that statement down to it’s “game over”.

It’s simply a different way of saying something.[/quote]

Yeah its very contexted something I personally don’t like.

Yes the story is over because all your characters died that sounds exactly like a game over.

[quote=“barcster_2003”]Yeah its very contexted something I personally don’t like.

Yes the story is over because all your characters died that sounds exactly like a game over.[/quote]

No there is a difference in how it plays out

Example

You head gets chopped off in RE 5, that’s a game over you are dead. But that is not how the story is suppose to conclude in RE 5!

They never designed the main character dying as a conclusion of the story.

You consequence for dying is just the game reloading till you do it till you don’t die

In Heavy Rain they have written into the story that the deaths of the characters as a logical conclusion. There are multiple save slots so you can go back if you want But if someone dies the story goes on until it ends with a logical conclusion

[quote=“sbf717”]No there is a difference in how it plays out

Example

You head gets chopped off in RE 5, that’s a game over you are dead. But that is not how the story is suppose to conclude in RE 5!

They never designed the main character dying as a conclusion of the story.

You consequence for dying is just the game reloading till you do it till you don’t die

In Heavy Rain they have written into the story that the deaths of the characters as a logical conclusion. There are multiple save slots so you can go back if you want But if someone dies the story goes on until it ends with a logical conclusion[/quote]

So dying in RE 5 is somehow totally different than dying in Heavy Rain eh? The consequence is restarting hey where have I heard that before every other game where your character dies maybe? I’m not even understanding exactly what your point is beyond when characters die you have to restart a game. Isn’t that game over just because it doesn’t have a screen saying game over doesn’t mean its not. So basically its totally different because you can have 4 characters and when one dies it just changes to the other character?

A game over is a game over it doesn’t matter how many characters you have.

[quote=“barcster_2003”]So dying in RE 5 is somehow totally different than dying in Heavy Rain eh? The consequence is restarting hey where have I heard that before every other game where your character dies maybe? I’m not even understanding exactly what your point is beyond when characters die you have to restart a game. Isn’t that game over just because it doesn’t have a screen saying game over doesn’t mean its not. So basically its totally different because you can have 4 characters and when one dies it just changes to the other character?

A game over is a game over it doesn’t matter how many characters you have.[/quote]

YES it is different I already told you how.

You die in RE 5. It’s game over, it reloads, and you do it again until you don’t die.

Like most games because death is not written as a logical conclusion.

Heavy Rain is not like most games when you die it’s not game over and reload, the story continues because death is written as a logical conclusion.

[size=200]BTW that is the ONLY thing they have referred too when they say there is no game over
[/size]

You almost make it seem like they are saying there is no game over it keeps going forever and ever…

But yes eventually the game IS gonna end

NO FUCKING SHIT!

I don’t really know how to make this any more crystal clear to you…

[quote=“sbf717”]YES it is different I already told you how.

You die in RE 5. It’s game over, it reloads, and you do it again until you don’t die.

Like most games because death is not written as a logical conclusion.

Heavy Rain is not like most games when you die it’s not game over and reload, the story continues because death is written as a logical conclusion.

[size=200]BTW that is the ONLY thing they have referred too when they say there is no game over
[/size]

You almost make it seem like they are saying there is no game over it keeps going forever and ever…

But yes eventually the game IS gonna end

NO FUCKING SHIT!

I don’t really know how to make this any more crystal clear to you…[/quote]

If you die with all 4 it is a game over. Just because you have 4 guys doesn’t mean its impossible. So death being written into the story is different from RPG’s where one of your characters dies how?

As David Cage said in the interview, when developing Heavy Rain they weren’t looking at what the market wants but what it needs. The thing about things we need is that we never really realize we needed it until it is given to us. I agreed with his statement regarding game content…Maturity is something doesn’t really exist. Over exaggerated amounts of violent, sexual themes, and gore that are often placed in mature games really don’t make the game mature. If anything, it makes the game more childish by exploring the idea of that is what it’s like to be an adult.

I’m very curious was to see how the story plays out. I want to know if the characters are related or tied to each other in anyway and just how much the idea of the story continuing if one dies will play out. Is it possible that the story will possible alter depending on when the character dies and how? Will two people have kill the same character, but one kills them early and the other does it later, still have the same outcome?

Needless to say, Heavy Rain obviously isn’t going to appeal to everyone. Even QuanticDream knows this but they don’t care. Personally, this is what I’ve been waiting for. I just hope I can find a character I care enough about like I did with Lucas in Indigo Prophecy.

Also, I agree with sbf regarding the death/consequence situation. Honestly, they are the same thing but maybe you need to look at it from a different point of view. Normally in games, there’s only one main character. So naturally, it makes sense to say that the story cannot continue when that character dies since they were the only one, thus why the game ends. However, with Heavy Rain, there’s multiple characters. When one dies, their story ends but the others continue since they are alive. The “game over” occurs when all four die since it is impossible for the story to continue onward without any of the characters to push it forward.

Just look at Heavy Rain like you would like at Fire Emblem or Valkyria Chronicles. When a character dies, they’re gone for good. Nothing can bring them back but the game still goes on due to there still being at least one “main” character. Once the “main” character is died, the game ends.