A valve console "Steam box"

Wow

If Steam Box works the same way Steam does, then I don’t think we will ever need multiple consoles anymore.

I heard about this and was gonna make a topic. It’s basically just a HTPC with Steam preloaded.

OK specs though, at least for the vast majority of Steam games.

[quote=“Andrex”]I heard about this and was gonna make a topic. It’s basically just a HTPC with Steam preloaded.

OK specs though, at least for the vast majority of Steam games.[/quote]

I guess we will have to see what it is if its just a PC with steam preinstalled that’s lame. If they treat it like a console I.E Xbox 360/PS3 it will be interesting. Got to wonder how it might affect things.

This and the x86 PS4 rumors leads me to believe Sony is about to start Playstation Certifying PCs and releasing games through Steam.

I have one of these. It’s called a PC :open_mouth:

Why wouldn’t Sony be announcing this then? Also why would they need Sony if Valve is putting out hardware?

Possible but this sounds more like a Sony fan wet dream than anything. Like all Virtual Console titles being free when it was announced even though everyone in reality knew that wouldn’t be the case.

[quote=“Andrex”]

Possible but this sounds more like a Sony fan wet dream than anything. Like all Virtual Console titles being free when it was announced even though everyone in reality knew that wouldn’t be the case.[/quote]

It would be if Sony hadn’t already committed to having its franchises appear on mobile devices it doesn’t make and there weren’t already a slew of games that only appear on PS3 and PC like Pixeljunk Eden, Everyday Shooter, Rochard, Sideways, and The Heist.

And all virtual console games are free.

[quote=“sbf717”]

It would be if Sony hadn’t already committed to having its franchises appear on mobile devices it doesn’t make and there weren’t already a slew of games that only appear on PS3 and PC like Pixeljunk Eden, Everyday Shooter, Rochard, Sideways, and The Heist.

And all virtual console games are free.[/quote]

Sony is having old stuff appear on mobiles its not taking system selling exclusives and putting them there that would be dumb.

::slight_smile:

I’m taking about PS Suite which launches in the Summer and will have brand new games designed for phones, PS3, and Vita.

It’s not stupid, putting your games on more platforms helps your franchise to become more important. It’s why Call of Duty trumps Halo now. You’ll see MS do the same thing with bringing Xbox games to Windows 8 just like how they are bringing their mobile games to iOS along with Windows Phone 7.

[quote=“sbf717”]I’m taking about PS Suite which launches in the Summer and will have brand new games designed for phones, PS3, and Vita.

It’s not stupid, putting your games on more platforms helps your franchise to become more important. It’s why Call of Duty trumps Halo now. You’ll see MS do the same thing with bringing Xbox games to Windows 8 just like how they are bringing their mobile games to iOS along with Windows Phone 7.[/quote]

If you bring all your franchises that sell hardware you become irrelevant sounds fairly nonsensical to me. What does adding Sony into the equation do for them?

If Sony is going to put all of its Vita games onto mobiles why would anyone buy a Vita?

You make hardware that’s designed for the consumers needs. Some people will want a box that does more and lets them run games made for any PC, those people will buy a SteamBox. Some people are gonna want a box that focuses on user experience and quick boot times those people will buy a PS4.

It’s really sad that someone would want a company to exclusivity tie compelling software to hardware. It’s the software that’s important and I don’t really care where I play the new game from Sucker Punch as long as its awesome.

[quote=“sbf717”]You make hardware that’s designed for the consumers needs. Some people will want a box that does more and lets them run games made for any PC, those people will buy a SteamBox. Some people are gonna want a box that focuses on user experience and quick boot times those people will buy a PS4.

It’s really sad that someone would want a company to exclusivity tie compelling software to hardware. It’s the software that’s important and I don’t really care where I play the new game from Sucker Punch as long as its awesome.[/quote]

I’m just saying if its Valve hardware what exactly is Sony even doing? Also you think PS4 is going to compete if they give all their exclusives away? By that measure Sony should me making games on the next Xbox also.

Sony releasing games for it.

Yeah that could happen. Would be good it means more money for Sony developers to invest in more good games. It earns them more respect and helps their brands and franchises become more popular.

[youtube]gvdf5n-zI14[/youtube]

kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-down … -time-soon

Guess not.

Wouldn’t have really changed much anyways.

Pfffffft

Anything Valve says

Sony also flat out denied the Playstation Phone too. Josh doesn’t post rumors unless he’s like 99% certain.